American Girl

There are newer employer reviews for American Girl

Great company!

Former Employee - Order Processor in Middleton, WI
Former Employee - Order Processor in Middleton, WI

I worked at American Girl part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good perks for part timers

Cons

It's too bad more part timers don't get chosen for full time positions

89 Other Employee Reviews for American Girl (View Most Recent)

Sales Associate at American Girl

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at American Girl part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, the work pretty much everything. There are a lot of kids, so you really need to like children to work here. If not then be in stock or operations.They really help you learn about the products you are selling. The products are available to look at and touch... I felt respected and not as though I was being like a high-school student or something. Most seasonal employees I would say are between 22 and 50. Good Pay start you out at 11 plus dollars.

Cons

* Very little room for growth; company has a tendency to hire from outside and force associates to wait years before offering a promotion.
    * The work environment over the years has become very much "management versus employees" and issues are resolved passive aggressively.
    * Extremely hierarchical work culture:
    (Management > Leads > 37.5 Associates > 30 Associates > P/T Under Associates > Seasonal Associates)
    * Does not encourage associates to seek income elsewhere, despite few full-time positions available; HR will not write letters of recommendation.
    * Little work/life balance with retail hours and fluctuating schedules.
    * Often understaffed to increase profit, which has lead to overworked employees and depleted morale.his position can be stressful if you are not used to dealing with people over the telephone who may be aggravated, confused, frustrated, etc. As any type of customer service type position, there will always be disgruntled customers. Other departments are usually very good about helping with these customers.

Management Won't Listen

Former Employee - Server in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Bloomington, MN

I worked at American Girl part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You really learn great teamwork when you're in a crazy lunch or dinner rush in the bistro and the only way to get things done is to work together. Most of the people are great and you become pretty tight-knit.

Cons

Mattel doesn't know how to run a restaurant efficiently at all. They have so many rules that make serving so hard, you practical have to jump through hoops just to give someone a meal.

We'd be so severely understaffed that we'd very rarely have a runner/busser and two servers would have to take on the entire dining room themselves during peak hours (8-15 tables AT A TIME). This made for very slow service and cold meals, many comped meals and terrible tips.

The bistro manager often refused to speak with tables who requested a manager and refused to help front or back of house when we were understaffed and completely swamped. Most of the time you could find her in the office surfing Facebook and stuffing her face with brownies. Many bistro employees spoke to HR about this , but nothing ever was solved. Because if this, moral was dangerously low and coming to work was more stressful and aggravating than the paycheck was worth.

The bistro was expected to participate in store-wide employee events, but most of the time we were completely out if the loop. We didn't really feel like part of the AG team.

Listen to your employees' concerns and fix them, especially when it's most of the employees voicing the same concerns. Learn how to run a restaurant from a successful restaurant instead of making up rules that don't make sense.

There are newer employer reviews for American Girl