There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings

Toxic.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Just to be completely clear - this review is for the Chicago office of AG. It's also referred to as Papyrus-Recycled Greetings, or PRG.
The Cleveland office of AG seems to have everything together. People seem happy for the most part - morale is okay overall. And I worked closely with several people in Cleveland who were just awesome. Seriously - really great people. I'm blessed to know them.
The Chicago office, however, does has some perks that are nice. It's downtown. There are some really great people that work there. Some of the best, and possibly most interesting people you'll ever work with actually.

Cons

The Chicago office has some of the worst senior management that I've ever worked with/for/under. Very manipulative and "read-my-mind"/"kiss my butt". There's constant turnover - and very low office morale.
Most everyone obsessed about leaving or fantasized about being let go.

Stop being so insecure and passive aggressive - or in one case, two-faced and overtly aggressive. Great leaders aren't made of that stuff. You were put there for a reason (and I want to think it wasn't to run that place into the ground - but I'm not completely sure). Trust your employees to do their job and do it well. Also - it's okay to offer constructive feedback and offer/provide direction instead of expecting people to read your mind.

reviews filtered by

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

the people are awesome the pay is market driven and the products are something to be proud of

Cons

Management is out of touch, can only manage up and have not concept of how to treat people

Promote more women. Pay attention to the ideas below the manager level, get rid of some of the useless VPs and EDs and empower people to take risks; people are waiting to be laid off. Get in front of that.

Consistency is key

Current Employee - American Greetings Contractor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - American Greetings Contractor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

Flexible hours
    no micromanagement, to a point
    pay is decent
    some really sharp/talented co-workers
    everyone is likable for the most part
    great work/life balance
    easy commute, as long as you live on the west side

Cons

- management is severely inconsistent in it's practices and attitude
    - sometimes you will run across an extremely effective manager, and sometimes the polar opposite, it depends on who walks through the door that day
    - impractical deadlines bordering on the impossible if you don't manage them yourself and possess the forethought to start work on something before it comes to managements attention
    - there is very little information sharing between departments, no one plays for the same team at AG

- promote communication between departments and teams within departments
    - recognize talent when you see it and work to cultivate that talent
    - properly train your managers to manage, and be consistent about it
    - recognize problem employees, work to correct their behavior, or fire them and replace them. There is way to much dead weight at American Greetings.

There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings