There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings

They don't treat people fairly.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
Current Employee - Merchandiser

Pros

Our schedules are fairly flexible. I enjoy the actual work involved in merchandising and working with other merchandisers at revisions.

Cons

I've never worked for a company that criticized their people about the silliest things. No matter how hard you work, it is never good enough. They expect you to complete tasks in very small amounts of time and when it doesn't get done, they don't understand why. Many people work off the clock so they don't get in trouble for going over hours. When raise time comes around and you are rated as "Exceeding Expectations", they tell you that you can't get the raise that goes with it because you make too much money. If I were supporting a family alone, my wages would be considered poverty level.

Advice to Management

When you want to criticize your employees, at least make it something that makes a difference in sales. You shouldn't make criticizing a required part of workwiths. If someone does a good job, give them the raise they deserve - you really don't pay that well. Stop telling us that the budget for merchandising is your biggest expense. Without us, you would have no sales.

Other Employee Reviews for American Greetings

1. Consolidation

Former Employee - Area Supervisor
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor

Pros

Benfits are good Flexible schedule allow to take care of family

Cons

New policy of wanting to turn over people to save salary

Advice to Management

Decisions are made to drive short term numbers

Very flexible part-time, need to be independently motivated and team player.

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser

Pros

Flexibility in servicing accounts schedule and easy to balance work and home life. Great people to work with when servicing team projects.

Cons

Pay is very supplemental and more conducive to mothers and students just looking for a little extra disposable income. Even if you can manage to service enough accounts to constitute full time hours the pay is not likely to be very high.

Advice to Management

As a National provider of paper based products I am honestly surprised that you do not have your own sister company to recycle the after season products that have not sold-you are in one of the few industries who could actually recoup money on your losses instead of filling landfills. To clarify-in spite of company attempts to recycle in the larger big box stores, alot of unsold product just gets thrown away when the season is over.