American Greetings

corporate.americangreetings.com

Good only for a stepping stone to a better job

PT Merchandiser (Former Employee)

ProsPay is ok.
Excellent way to network in order to find a more stable position.

ConsThey do not give enough time for the work expected. You are supposed to charge every phone call, e-mail or discussion you have about work but if you do you will have less time to actually work the store. Supervisors know it's too little time yet pressure you to "somehow" get it done.

They tell you it's a flexible schedule but then start putting other scheduling expectations on you. You must schedule your calls on the day your order delivers. You find out that specific stores only want you there on certain days or certain times.

Your schedule does not load until the day before the week begins. It's difficult to make any personal plans.

There is an expectation that you carry a cell phone yet they won't reimburse you. I finally told them I wasn't going to carry my cell phone at work anymore. In fact you must use your own cell phone, internet service, land line AND buy your own packing tape and office supplies etc. if needed.

You aren't given a mileage reimbursement, they give you travel time between stores but not to your first store or your trip home. There are times I had only one service call for an hour. That meant that I received no travel time. My pay for the day basically paid for the gas to get there.

There is no consistency in your schedule. One week you might have 20 hours, the next 5.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll managers should have to work at a store for a few weeks to understand how important the merchandisers are to the company. Give us realistic expectations to avoid high turnover.

They don't treat people fairly.

Merchandiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros: Our schedules are fairly flexible. I enjoy the actual work… Cons: I've never worked for a company that criticized their people about the silliest things. No matter how hard you work, it is never good enough.… Advice to Senior Management: When you want to criticize your employees, at least make it something that makes a difference in sales. You shouldn't make criticizing a required part… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Consolidation

Area Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at American Greetings

Pros: Benfits are good Flexible schedule allow to take care of family Cons: New policy of wanting to turn over people to save… Advice to Senior Management: Decisions are made to drive short term numbers No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Greetings.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!