American Greetings

What a joke!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

I find the lack of quality pay and the excessive overloading of work really puts a skip in my step!

Cons

The management tells you how much they value you; "We caouldn't have done this without you." Then the appreciation suddenly disappears as the annoucements of no raises and no 401k matchings are made. Then announcements of mass layoffs. Then the announcement that American Greetings just bought another company. Wait....another company? "Yes, this is part of our long-term strategy." Apparently, raising employee morale is not involved in the long-term strategy. Nor does it seem like the employees are valued at all. They are treated as expenses that need to be reduced, rather than assets that should be taken care of.

My advice for management would be to take a look at the health of your business. The reduction of employees and overloading of work on your existing employees won't really make this a better business in the long run.

211 Other Employee Reviews for American Greetings (View Most Recent)

Great to start, but move onto something better later.

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Great place to start if you are new to marketing, a variety of opportunities to work on major retail-specific projects.

Cons

Bogged down by hierarchy, too many levels of approval. People development could be much better.

Provide resources that people need - management training, leadership opportunities, and most importantly a single-minded strategic focus that everyone can stand behind.

American Greetings...job of absolute last resort

Former Employee - Creative Technical Specialist in Brooklyn, OH
    Former Employee - Creative Technical Specialist in Brooklyn, OH

I worked at American Greetings

Pros

Higher than average pay. Seems to compensate for high turn over. Easy to get in when new to the work force. They hire just about anyone, often regardless of any ability in the position. Some people do enjoy the environment, so it seems that it can be a good fit for some.

Cons

The culture, management as a whole, or lack of it. Have known several people who took jobs there against my advice and were ready to leave within a couple months. I left voluntarily and the lay-offs have not stopped in all the time since I left. They hire and fire, hire and fire.

Need to clearly communicate to employees. More of an open door policy.

There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings