fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Web Producer  in  Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Web Producer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

This is a transparent company, with a positive and engaged attitude towards it's employees. I have found all of coworkers across departments to be excellent people to work with, and the teamwork and professionalism to be likewise present. This is also a highly creative and engaged group of people to work with. Individualism and creativity is encouraged. Diversity is encouraged: I see colleagues who are not afraid to hide their sexual orientation (gay), and are not penalized in their careers. I experience a strong multicultural corporate environment, in which differences are welcomed as a strength for the company. This is a company where you can create your job description by reaching towards your aspirations, interests, and strengths, and where you can find an effective work/life balance. I love it here.

Cons

its a tough company to get into. I worked there for nearly a year as a contractor, before getting brought on board as a full time employee. Others I have talked to have up to spent several years as contractors, before getting hired in house. On the other hand, the wait is worth it.

good job. keep it up.

Other Reviews for American Greetings

Ok employer for a huge corporation.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

American Greetings is the largest employer in my field in my home town. It's basically the holy grail if you get in.

Cons

Leadership stays in the family. Stock price more important than quality and integrity of product. Questionable financial decisions at WHQ, like the new park and recent major remodeling. There are too many levels of buracracy to sift through to get things done. Major projects take years to implement, during which time technology and the rest of the world moves forward.

Senior Management should learn to care a little more about the quality and integrity of product. They should look outside the family for high up leadership positions.

Has the potential to be so much more -but isn't.

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings

Pros

I really like the work that I do.

Cons

Senior management is incompetent and they tend to hire other incompetent managers from the top down.
    Senior management is overpaid as they are brought in with high salaries, but do not have to be accountable. No incentives for them to make a positive difference as they have their big salaries. American Greetings ownership believe dollars bring in top senior management. Has not show to be the case. They take the money for their 3-5 year contracts and then leave. A lot of other competent people could perform these management jobs for a lot less that are good and hard workers-and be offered incentive packages if they reach certain goals. There is a lost of dead weight not only in management but in non management positions. However, during downsizing, good workers are often cut by incompetent management as they are unaware of the value and skill level of their staff.

To many unqualified managers and too little people to do the work. Thus sub par product.

There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!