American Greetings

corporate.americangreetings.com

Working a very physical job that provides only seasonal employment.

Current Employee - Press Operator  in  Greeneville, TN
Current Employee - Press Operator in Greeneville, TN

Pros

It's one of the top paying factories in my county. We have a company paid union pension which makes retirement possible. Associates get along well and form strong bonds. In general the supervisors are good people and take up for their people.

Cons

Very skilled employees are laid off 3 to 4 months of the year, without insurance coverage when laid off. Almost no chance of promotion, regardless of skill or education. Entry level managers are usually friends and/or family of upper management.

Take a good look at the people available on the floor before choosing supervisors.

Other reviews for American Greetings

It should be so much better

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

I work with so many great people. There are few place in northeast Ohio packed with so many great minds to collaborate with.

Cons

The downside is that as a subsidiary of a major public company, we have the politics of a major public company.

Personal agendas and perceptions get in the way of real progress all too often. Assumptions about how ideas have been implemented in the past affect current perceptions too greatly without enough consideration of how the idea is being recast.

Pay is decent -- it's hard work but it's a job.

Current Employee - Gen, Factory Worker  in  Danville, KY
    Current Employee - Gen, Factory Worker in Danville, KY

Pros

One of the positive things about AG is the pay -- for the Danville area it's pretty decent. Another good aspect is that you are off on weekends, there are opportunities to go home without it counting against you (when work is slow) and there are seasonal opportunities for overtime. I also like that it may be a factory but it's an 8 hr. position. Other factories here all have 12 hr. shifts.

Cons

Management is mediocre -- they are very strict and claim they do not play favorites but there is clear nepitism in some cases. It is factory work -- I was hired in 2007 and can tell that it is wearing on my body. I do not know how much longer my body can keep up with the work. Another negative is that all new hires start on 2nd shift -- it isn't for everyone. I have a small child and I don't get a lot of family time because of the awkward shift.

No advice for them -- it wouldn't matter what I said, they will still conduct themselves as they do currently.

There are newer employer reviews for American Greetings.

Worked for American Greetings? Contribute to the Community!