American Heart Association
www.heart.org Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Depends upon your manager

Fundraising Director (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a great cause and a large not-for-profit with great training and good growth opportunities if you have good management. The reputation of the organization gives you great access to corporations and contacts within the community.

ConsLarge not-for-profit so can be very "corporate". Lots of turnover and some management is poor. Affiliate structure lends itself to same issues many nationa/affiliate organizations face -- difficulty in communication and cohesiveness. Disparities exist between geographic regions and size of offices regarding titles, compensation, training opportunities. As with many NFP's, revenue-generators make significantly more money than program delivery, and emphasis is placed on revenue generation without being able to provide programs and services to many donors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at departments with large turnover and assess whether management of that department is to blame.

American Heart Association - Western Affiliate management needs a lesson in management

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros: It's a non profit organization that's working to eliminate heart… Cons: People working there are dedicated and nice, management however is like a boys club. There's a very high turnover within the organization. People… Advice to Senior Management: My old boss, VP of IT was the worst possible manager I have ever had. He micromanaged me to death. I hated going to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

work as a team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros: what they do for the community, the research that is conducted. National office seems to have it… Cons: too much after hours work and slow to change with the times. Fundraisers are reluctant to share their contacts with each other… Advice to Senior Management: take some risks, listen to your staff and try new ways. Try and dispel the rivalry between fund raising teams and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Heart Association.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Heart Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown. All reviews posted anonymously by American Heart Association employees.