There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Depends upon your manager

Former Employee - Fundraising Director  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Fundraising Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

It's a great cause and a large not-for-profit with great training and good growth opportunities if you have good management. The reputation of the organization gives you great access to corporations and contacts within the community.

Cons

Large not-for-profit so can be very "corporate". Lots of turnover and some management is poor. Affiliate structure lends itself to same issues many nationa/affiliate organizations face -- difficulty in communication and cohesiveness. Disparities exist between geographic regions and size of offices regarding titles, compensation, training opportunities. As with many NFP's, revenue-generators make significantly more money than program delivery, and emphasis is placed on revenue generation without being able to provide programs and services to many donors.

Look at departments with large turnover and assess whether management of that department is to blame.

216 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

American Heart Association - Western Affiliate management needs a lesson in management

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Burlingame, CA

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

It's a non profit organization that's working to eliminate heart disease and stroke

Cons

People working there are dedicated and nice, management however is like a boys club. There's a very high turnover within the organization. People leave or let go with no explanations. Coordinators and fund raisers are given high goals while COO and CEO of affiliations make over $200K per year. While working for AHA Western State Affiliation what I didn't understand is if the association was running on money donated by ordinary people how come managers were making six figures and everyday workers were getting average salaries.

My old boss, VP of IT was the worst possible manager I have ever had. He micromanaged me to death. I hated going to work everyday because I didn't want to face him. I seriously believe that my departure from AHA was the best thing that happened to me. I was under so much stress because of my boss, I can't put into words. Management needs to eliminate the boys club environment and hold managers accountable for the high turnover within the organization.

work as a team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

what they do for the community, the research that is conducted. National office seems to have it more together than the separate entities. National is good at trying to provide motivation, a cheerleader of sorts.

Cons

too much after hours work and slow to change with the times. Fundraisers are reluctant to share their contacts with each other which results in a very silo and company focused view rather than a customer view. No team atmosphere in many of the divisions.

take some risks, listen to your staff and try new ways. Try and dispel the rivalry between fund raising teams and work as a team. Companies don't want several staff members contacting them with their own agendas-need to be more customer focused.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!