There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Corporate Market Director

Former Employee - Corporate Development Director  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Corporate Development Director in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

I got to work with some amazing volunteers. The AHA has made some great advancements in the fight against heart disease.

Cons

No work/life balance for the development staff. NO training, but still expected to know how to do everything. You are pretty much on your own with this organization!! Keep staff around that are willing to spy on the other employees even when they do nothing for the office!! Very divided and toxic atmosphere. Turnover is ridiculous and when there is an open position everyone else is expected to do the work, but that doesn't count towards any of your personal goals so when your event rolls around and your numbers aren't where they need to be because you have spent months on an event other than your own- you will be fired!!

GAP meetings- where upper management drills you for several hours on where you are on your fund-raising goals. Completely counter-productive and a giant waste of time and donor dollars!! This happens once a month and they fly National Consultants in to drill you as well. That can't be cheap!!! You spend an entire day talking to them about people that they don't know and don't care to ever meet!!!

Look at the strengths of the individuals- don't expect everyone to fit into your cookie-cutter mold! Maybe spend some time getting to know the supporters that are giving you thousands of dollars and MAYBE, just maybe, say thank you every once in a while!! Get you nose out of the spreadsheets and get involved in the community that is supporting you! When there is turnover, it takes years to rebuild that trust with the volunteers- take this into consideration when setting goals and don't make the volunteers feel like failures if they don't reach the ridiculous goals that someone, not sure who, has set for them!!

216 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Former intern at AHA in Fort Worth, TX

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You get to work with a lot of great volunteers that are hardworking and dedicated people that contribute to the organization.

Cons

My experience at the Fort Worth AHA was unbelievable. I felt, as an unpaid intern, that I worked harder than nearly everyone else in my specific group and got zero recognition for it. If something goes wrong, the directors just turn the other cheek and ignore the problem. The communication within the group was not there, irregardless of weekly meetings between the group. No matter how much effort you would put into trying to communicate problems/questions/issues, no one would address it until it became a direct problem for the directors. The trust between people is not there. The turnover is unbelievable; there were very few people that had been there more than one year whenever I interned. The people that have been there more than one year try to block out the new employees and appear to feel very threatened by any sort of change that occurs. And, to top it off, after I felt like I busted my butt for the organization for the three months of my internship, no one even acknowledged me on my last day. Yet, after being gone for two weeks, they called me and asked me to come back to work on a project. I dreaded coming into the office every day because the atmosphere was so hostile and chaotic.

Problems that are presented need to be dealt with. Everyone just turns the other cheek instead of addressing issues within the company. There is no reason an organization of that magnitude needs to find new employees every few months. If there is that much turnover in a company, that should be a solid sign that something is seriously wrong in the company.

experience

Former Employee - Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

opportunity to support a great mission and volunteers

Cons

unappreciated their employees and management only thinks of themselves

Have a heart when it comes to your employees

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!