American Heart Association

www.heart.org

Corporate Market Director

Corporate Development Director (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsI got to work with some amazing volunteers. The AHA has made some great advancements in the fight against heart disease.

ConsNo work/life balance for the development staff. NO training, but still expected to know how to do everything. You are pretty much on your own with this organization!! Keep staff around that are willing to spy on the other employees even when they do nothing for the office!! Very divided and toxic atmosphere. Turnover is ridiculous and when there is an open position everyone else is expected to do the work, but that doesn't count towards any of your personal goals so when your event rolls around and your numbers aren't where they need to be because you have spent months on an event other than your own- you will be fired!!

GAP meetings- where upper management drills you for several hours on where you are on your fund-raising goals. Completely counter-productive and a giant waste of time and donor dollars!! This happens once a month and they fly National Consultants in to drill you as well. That can't be cheap!!! You spend an entire day talking to them about people that they don't know and don't care to ever meet!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the strengths of the individuals- don't expect everyone to fit into your cookie-cutter mold! Maybe spend some time getting to know the supporters that are giving you thousands of dollars and MAYBE, just maybe, say thank you every once in a while!! Get you nose out of the spreadsheets and get involved in the community that is supporting you! When there is turnover, it takes years to rebuild that trust with the volunteers- take this into consideration when setting goals and don't make the volunteers feel like failures if they don't reach the ridiculous goals that someone, not sure who, has set for them!!

Former intern at AHA in Fort Worth, TX

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern for less than a year

Pros: You get to work with a lot of great volunteers… Cons: My experience at the Fort Worth AHA was unbelievable. I felt, as an unpaid intern, that I worked harder than nearly everyone else in… Advice to Senior Management: Problems that are presented need to be dealt with. Everyone just turns the other cheek instead of addressing issues within the company. There… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

experience

Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

Pros: opportunity to support a great mission and volunteers Cons: unappreciated their employees and management only thinks of themselves Advice to Senior Management: Have a heart when it comes to your employees No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on American Heart Association.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!