American Heart Association

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Former intern at AHA in Fort Worth, TX

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Heart Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of great volunteers that are hardworking and dedicated people that contribute to the organization.

Cons

My experience at the Fort Worth AHA was unbelievable. I felt, as an unpaid intern, that I worked harder than nearly everyone else in my specific group and got zero recognition for it. If something goes wrong, the directors just turn the other cheek and ignore the problem. The communication within the group was not there, irregardless of weekly meetings between the group. No matter how much effort you would put into trying to communicate problems/questions/issues, no one would address it until it became a direct problem for the directors. The trust between people is not there. The turnover is unbelievable; there were very few people that had been there more than one year whenever I interned. The people that have been there more than one year try to block out the new employees and appear to feel very threatened by any sort of change that occurs. And, to top it off, after I felt like I busted my butt for the organization for the three months of my internship, no one even acknowledged me on my last day. Yet, after being gone for two weeks, they called me and asked me to come back to work on a project. I dreaded coming into the office every day because the atmosphere was so hostile and chaotic.

Problems that are presented need to be dealt with. Everyone just turns the other cheek instead of addressing issues within the company. There is no reason an organization of that magnitude needs to find new employees every few months. If there is that much turnover in a company, that should be a solid sign that something is seriously wrong in the company.

230 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

experience

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity to support a great mission and volunteers

Cons

unappreciated their employees and management only thinks of themselves

Have a heart when it comes to your employees

The mission of the organization is vital to the future of our Nation's health and wellness

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Plainview, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Plainview, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, the people, and most importantly--the mission

Cons

High turn-over rate and sometimes super-high workload for the amount of staff in each office...

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association