American Heart Association

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Love my job here!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, excellent internal customer service, competitive pay, supportive supervisors

Cons

None so far! (Year and counting)

Continue treating your employees well and keep up the great work!

224 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Worst Job Ever--Abusive Environment

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty decent pay for a nonprofit
    Great "brand name" recognition

Cons

A lot of lip service is paid to the idea of work-life balance. In fact, it was mentioned specifically several times in my interviews, but it was a different story once hired on. Expect to be basically on-call 24/7. Phone calls, emails, texts at all hours, and if you don't respond within seconds or with the perfect reply, you will pay. They dump so much work on you that it could not be done in a 90-hour work week, much less a supposed 37.5 hour week.

NO practical training. Tons of time-wasting, pointless online classes. Tons of unnecessary conference calls. Oh, and don't expect any help from the people in your office. They had to learn the hard way themselves and are certainly not willing to part with their hard-earned knowledge.

Staff at my local office are extremely stuck-up and cliquish. Like working with a bunch of 8th grade girls.

Consider yourself lucky if you work less than 60 hours a week. If they say occasional travel, that means most days of the week, from before dawn until way past dark. Step out of line and YOU WILL PAY. This is a SALES JOB and a sales job only, so don't get any starry-eyed ideas that you're changing the world. Mission counts for nothing in this organization.

Stop playing favorites. Actually take the time to train employees on real job functions, not theories and arcane policies. You can't demand instant perfection when YOU didn't train and heaped on an unreasonable amount of work. Try to conceal your greed and tremendous egos, as it is off-putting and very evident to donors. Accept the fact that for some people "work life balance" is a real thing and a true priority; yes, even the same people who don't mind working extra hours for a special project-within reason! Squelch the snobbery. Put an end to the constant verbal and psychological abuse. Pretend you actually care about people with heart disease as more than just a way to boost your fundraising event totals.

I wish I wouldn't have left my job to work here

Current Employee - Fundraiser
    Current Employee - Fundraiser

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Thinking that working for a good cause can motivate you at first

Cons

Management is abusive and petty.
    It's all about the money who you know and what you can do.
    The environment is unhealthy.

Stop abusing your employees. This is not a healthy working environment.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association