American Heart Association

www.heart.org
  www.heart.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

I have built a strong and fulfilling career with the AHA!

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a great experience and have been able to move up the ranks and build a strong career at the AHA. I have had years when i have not made my goal, and my manager helped me build a strong plan to overcome challenges and get to goal the next year. I love that I am constantly building new skills - from working with CEO's, to motivating volunteers and donors, to seeing the amazing research and systems change that we are doing. Every day is different and challenges me in a new way to keep my skills sharp and me interested!

Cons

If you do not know how to recruit, mobilize, and work with high level volunteers it is very difficult work. I would not recommend this organization for anyone that is not comfortable working through people (volunteers) to accomplish big goals. That is when you end up working 50+ hours a week and not meeting goals.

Be transparent with the decisions you make so that employees at all levels understand why we do things in certain ways.

225 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

It's not what it should be or even could be

Current Employee - Not A Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Not A Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do get to meet people that care about heart disease.

Cons

Bad working environment and Bad Management
    Workplace bullying is unbelievable. Bullying is an acceptable practice at this organization.
    There are so many employees that are overworked and under appreciated.
    The organization is very top heavy....You have VP's of VP's and they are never to be seen unless the EVP comes in.

I echo the other reviews about bullying and office politics. It doesn't seem to matter.

If You Want the Life Sucked Out of You and Be Totally Underappreciated, AHA Is The Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits including PTO
    Appreciate the 37.5 hr workweek but it's not realistic

Cons

401 is a non-profit so you don't have a match for the first two years
    It takes a 50-hr work week to get the job done, but you'll get your hand slapped for overtime
    Money is the bottom line, at any cost, including employee's health
    Managers are completely incompetent and therefore, have others do their jobs for them, taking all the credit
    If you don't do your job appropriately, there are favorites in the office that will "tattle" on you and your manager will not defend you
    You will have no life after coming on board and you will be completely undermind and therefore, never have a chance for advancement
    The pay sucks, no matter what experience level you bring to the table

Suck it up and pay attention to your employees and their needs
    Stop being so blind that you only see the side of the story that benefits you
    Stop treating your employees like second-class citizens

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association