People and cause are great- Management? Not so much

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

People are fantastic Cause- people are passionate about it

Cons

Management is only concerned about lining their own pockets

Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association

I have built a strong and fulfilling career with the AHA!

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a great experience and have been able to move up the ranks and build a strong career at the AHA. I have had years when i have not made my goal, and my manager helped me build a strong plan to overcome challenges and get to goal the next year. I love that I am constantly building new skills - from working with CEO's, to motivating volunteers and donors, to seeing the amazing research and systems change that we are doing. Every day is different and challenges me in a new way to keep my skills sharp and me interested!

Cons

If you do not know how to recruit, mobilize, and work with high level volunteers it is very difficult work. I would not recommend this organization for anyone that is not comfortable working through people (volunteers) to accomplish big goals. That is when you end up working 50+ hours a week and not meeting goals.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with the decisions you make so that employees at all levels understand why we do things in certain ways.

Lots of opportunity for talented people

Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are great; rewards and advancement are there for people that know how to acccomplish goals and work well with others; wonderful, dedicated staff and volunteers; a compelling mission; leaders that care about the staff and the mission; flexibility for staff in hours and location if the person performs well

Cons

There are some former staff members that are writing on this site. Some people think that working for a nonprofit means relatively easy work. That is not true. When people find that a job is not for them, they should exit, but not bash the company. That is not good for them or for others. No one workplace fits all types of people, and unfortunately, there will sometimes be managers we don;t work well with. There are many happy people here that love working for the AHA. The AHA is in the top echelon of Non-Profits to Work For according to Non-Profit Times and as judged by current employees every year. Employee Engagement survey results are excellent. Check these out for a more complete perspective.