There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

This was a great company to volunteer for.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

The hours were good and the chance to network with other organizations was a bonus.

Cons

I wish I was there longer.

215 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

The worst working experience of my professional career

Former Employee - Business Development Director
    Former Employee - Business Development Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work of the organization truly does save lives.

Cons

The management team of the Mid Atlantic states leaves much to be desired. It would make much more sense to have like size cities grouped together for the purpose of success comparisons.

You should recognize that every market doesn't have the mindset of a Charlotte market. The small rural towns require a different finesse that larger cities. The expectations of both the volunteers and contributors is very different in smaller towns. Management should be more open to listening to the people of a given market and flexible to work within their comfort areas as opposed to being so set in stone to do fund raise the "corporate" way.

Perfect for stepping stone or sales professional. NOT suitable for fund raisers

Former Employee - Director of Development  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will work with some of the hardest working people. A lot of the volunteers are fabulous and care deeply about the cause.

Cons

Unqualified people are promoted to supervisory positions. There's a lot of talk about identifying leadership potential but the bottom line is the bottom line. If a person is successful or lucky in increasing sponsorship or private donors, it doesn't matter if the person displays a nasty attitude, huge ego, Mean Girls persona or is inarticulate (I've had several bosses with all these traits). The AHA talks a good talk but executive leadership puts on the pressure and it's an "at all costs to hit goal" environment. There is also a lot of distrust. MANY meetings-staff, department and 1x1. There are also a myriad of daily and weekly reports. All of this is time consuming and you are tasked with finding the time to also do your job. When you voice your concern that it's too much, you will be patronizing told that it's simple to do, you just need to manage your schedule better. It's irrational the expectations managers place On their staff but heave help you if you push back. You'll be out on their radar as someone who can't manage time wisely and raw also lazy.

I give up. Management is told over and over again to change its ways but to no avail. So just be honest with applicants and state that this a sales position that happens to be with a non priority. Be honest and applicants won't be disappointed.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!