American Heart Association

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Never enough

Former Employee - Senior Director of Corporate Events in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Senior Director of Corporate Events in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All the resources and support from upper management at your call...

Cons

Very high figures and goals to achieve

Establish a reasonable and attainable goal... Let not every EVENT be a benchmark for the entire Association.

245 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Meaningful mission though leadership is not the organization's strong point

Current Employee - Division Director
    Current Employee - Division Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, good benefits, decent salary for non profit. The families and organizations that support the AHA are often wonderful to work with and make the mission of the organization come to life.

Cons

With every pro I listed above, I can list an equal or worse con. You can work from home and even when there is bad weather, YOU MUST WORK despite the fact that the community surrounding you is not working. Also, work from home staff often feels limited in the relationships they have within the organization. It is nearly impossible to create a team mentality when you see your fellow staff once every few months.

I have been with the organization long enough to see a lot of turnover. If you do not go from zero, ie no community connections or no strong established working relationships, to 100% in a very short amount of time, the organization will give you a plan. This plan typically entails a certain time frame (often unrealistic) to hit very aggressive goals such as all previous sponsors renewed, all leadership positions filled and event hitting goal. This plan is often very difficult to obtain and thus they are "justified" in terminating you.

In two and a half years I have had three different direct supervisors (VP level) and two different SVPs. My role was vacant for one year and the volunteers left with a manager who lives hours away to somewhat lead the event. I say lead loosely. I believe that structurally there is something wrong with the leadership of the organization when there is such significant turnover. Staff is only given a raise when they have not only hit a certain dollar goal but also gained a certain score on their yearly evaluation. One co worker was fired despite being the only team member hitting fiscal goal just three months before.

I do believe there is a culture of bullying and often it is done by females due to the ratio of female leadership to male. It is often unprofessional and seemingly personality conflict based.

Take step back and remember what it was like to actually be in the position of those you are leading. Remember those that you are actually working for, those that are and will be touched by cardiovascular disease and stroke.

Most of your staff wants to be successful and with strong leadership can be. Have faith in that staff to lead the market and listen when they tell you what their community needs as they are the face of that community.

Love the cause and the brand, struggled with the hierarchy and politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is an incredible brand, with great events and passionate volunteers. Most of the employees really care about what they do. The organization gives you the chance to learn and develop different skills.

Cons

This organization suffers from a command and control management style. Some senior executives have been grandfathered in and promotion at the top seems to be based on seniority.

Become more flat and transparent. Incorporate more practitioners of holistic health and join WorldBlu to become a democratic workplace.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association