There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Too much going on at once!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extreme flexibility Work/life balance (if you take advantage of it) Good compensation for a non-profit organization

Cons

Training is non-existent Unorganized leadership Overworked employees

Advice to Management

Consider better management and more resources for employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

At first working at American Heart Association is one of the best things that I have ever decided, but THE WORST.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

A few GENUINE employees that I have met and been introduced and I literally didn't work under them (wish had more opportunity to collaborate).

Cons

The worst. They make you feel under appreciated to the maximum. In the end, once they are done with the event and money has been raised, they don't give a $%!#. To this day, I still didn't understand, the people that I worked VERY closely with...still didn't seem to say "THANK YOU" GENUINELY and APPRECIATE for what you do overall. Would you want to work for a company like that? Past Reviews say it all...

Advice to Management

It is really sad when I was personally PASSIONATE about working for this company and trying to GROW long term and the fact that I have been personally dealt with Heart Disease and come from a family of Cardiologists and still treat me UNJUST on a professional level makes me SICK and personally gives me "heart palpitations". I have worked for other non-profits before but AHA is the worst particularly in this division demographically. No punt intended but there are other non-profits that really are great around the world and how can you tell..."VOLUNTEER DRIVEN"...on a side note. Advice? Hmmm... 1. What do you VALUE? You may have a mission statement, but what are your "values" in your company? 2. It's not just Who you know...but also "what you know". THINK about it. 3. MANAGE your employees overall. If you are a full time employee, part time employee, or a temporary employee or just a contract employee. Treat your employees as you would treat your best customers. Maybe working for a non-profit company would make life just a little easier, right? 4. Culture - Whats good for the company and for the customers and your donors come TOGETHER and they all become the driving force behind your mission/vision/goals and aspirations of the company. Keep on talking, but ACTION speak louder than words.

Great Coworkers, TERRIBLE BOSSES

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Co-Workers are awesome! Benefits are decent.

Cons

Management in completely skewed and myopic in their ideologies and what they consider to be 'good' work from lower level employees. A Director and or Admin could be performing at what other companies would consider to be excellent or good, but this same work will be scored at average or fair. It is almost as though management is trying to 'incentivize' the employee to work even more by giving them lower scores on their performance reviews when in fact they deserve more (at least my manager operated this way). However, there are some employees who don't even get dressed for work and come in their pajamas and these very employees are protected in some sick and twisted manner by the SVP that manages him or her. It feels as though upper level management (Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, Executive Vice President) are completely far removed from the average worker bees. Hell should freeze over before you arrive 10 mins after 8:30AM. Management somehow loves to disregard the late nights, weekends and extra time put in by threatening EXEMPT workers to be at work before 8:30AM. As if 60-70 hours per week were not enough??!! Apparently management bonuses or salaries are completely dependent on the VPs hitting their internal GOAL WINS. These Goal Wins are self-imposed rules made up by the Heart Association to make employees work 60-70 hour work weeks at the salary of a semi decent non-profit. You will hear it over and over again as if it were some sort of creed that has been passed down to them by the EVP and SVPs. Management likes to talk a lot about culture this and culture that--but the VPs are the very individuals that have political agendas to stick by, red tape to adhere to and their little games intoxicate the culture of the organization. If a volunteer does not want to volunteer, somehow it ends up being the employees fault, as if we had control of volunteer schedules. The moment you contradict the culture or ask for the Christmas party (yes, I said Christmas party!!!) to be called a Holiday party, management and the lower level minions will treat you as if you should be the next person in line to be executed or stoned to death.