There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Ridiculous- no leadership, no compassion

Former Employee - Fundraising Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting survivors and knowing they were grateful for support, the team was very supportive of peers

Cons

long hours, very sales driven environment, everything was a numbers game, real relationship building and fundraising did not exist, leadership was inefficient and only concerned with their bottom line

Advice to Management

pay attention to your mid-level managers and think more about who you hire in leadership

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Such a disappointment...

Former Employee - Director in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Northeast, NY

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, great co-workers, holidays and PTO

Cons

Management, absolutely no work-life balance, salary, lack of appropriate training and time to acclimate

Advice to Management

For the first 2 months or so, I literally thought it was too good to be true, but then things started to change. The job had a 90 degree learning curve, yet within a couple of months I was expected to be able to do all of it (and there was WAY too much) perfectly and without assistance. When I expressed my concerns, I was told I was the problem and that the workload would only increase. Management gave mixed and unclear guidance regarding the tasks/assignments, and I could apparently never do anything right because of this. If I asked for clarification, I was met with irritation and told I should just know, yet when I made assumptions I would get disciplined and asked why I didn't seek clarification. I started going in early and staying late, as well as working weekends and holidays (and even my PTO birthday) to try and get everything done, but it was never enough. I literally stopped eating and sleeping in my attempts to please them in both quantity and quality, and it still wasn't enough. It reached a point where I had become incredibly depressed, anxious and unhappy all the time, and had lost over 10 pounds due to not eating, and I just had to get out. Honestly, I felt like 2 people could've been doing my job full-time and they would both be stressed out and overwhelmed. Please PLEASE, if you're thinking about applying or accepting a job offer from the AHA, please don't make your decision lightly, and read these reviews carefully before making up your mind.

Probably the worst mistake in my professional career-RUN don't walk away.

Former Employee - Fundraising Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great volunteers, worthy mission, good pay for a non profit, great PTO and benefits

Cons

They hours are unbelievable, no work life balance, "mean girl" mentality management style, micromanaging atmosphere. There is no growth potential. There is never enough and the company has become greed driven.

Advice to Management

Stop looking for more and more. Appreciate your people more, appreciate your volunteers more, stop booking lake side rooms for management meetings and start putting the money towards the mission. Listen to your staff, many have great ideas and concepts. Stop taking them for granted and see how low your attrition can go! When people reach out and want to do more, stay longer, and work with you, listen to them.