American Heart Association

www.heart.org
  www.heart.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

224 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Mission is Great but Employee Environment is Abusive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job.
    Week off at Christmas
    Mission is exceptional
    Training is excellent and appropriate. For example, they have work buddies that help you get through the process by mentoring as well as guiding you through the process.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management.
    Environment is typical of a middle school culture with favorites being promoted without regard to talent.
    Environment is abusive and morale is low.
    Upper management is not in touch with the real world. Expectations are consistently raised despite changes in the economy, expectations are high that fundraising will continue to grow at a rate which is not in keeping with the low economic environment.
    Fundraising comes across as being more important than the mission of the organization. Less resources are being allocated for public education than fundraising tools.
    Revolving door of employees. Turnover is constant.

Look around and find out why employees are leaving. Cost to the organization is great when you are having to constantly train new employees. Take note of the low morale as it affects the productivity of your employees. Follow your mission more closely and the money will follow.

Worst of the Worst.....You will kill your career

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The volunteers are very sweet. The co-workers you can trust are magnificent. The mission is honorable. The benefits are average.

Cons

Everything is micro-managed! And when you follow your leader's advice 100% it blow up in your face. If the leadership actually allowed their employees to do their job, as a real corporation would, the results would be amazing. It seem as though the management would rather sabotage and set you up for failure so they have a ready scape-goat rather than help you succeed!! This is the only work environment I have ever been in that the staff cried almost daily due to the absurdity of the work and the demeaning way in which they were treated. If you do not mind ruining your reputation, sanity, and health, then by all means pursue a "career" with AHA. You will soon find the organization far to rigid yet unorganized and uncaring to make a career and the reason for the extremely high turn-over will be apparent.

Train your upper management in basic people skills. If you wish to be ran like a business promote those with business degrees that actually know business models. This is by far the worst organization I have ever worked for. You need to revamp the entire system in the SWA at the very least.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association