There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

224 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Mission is Great but Employee Environment is Abusive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive for a non-profit sector job.
    Week off at Christmas
    Mission is exceptional
    Training is excellent and appropriate. For example, they have work buddies that help you get through the process by mentoring as well as guiding you through the process.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent unless you are upper management.
    Environment is typical of a middle school culture with favorites being promoted without regard to talent.
    Environment is abusive and morale is low.
    Upper management is not in touch with the real world. Expectations are consistently raised despite changes in the economy, expectations are high that fundraising will continue to grow at a rate which is not in keeping with the low economic environment.
    Fundraising comes across as being more important than the mission of the organization. Less resources are being allocated for public education than fundraising tools.
    Revolving door of employees. Turnover is constant.

Look around and find out why employees are leaving. Cost to the organization is great when you are having to constantly train new employees. Take note of the low morale as it affects the productivity of your employees. Follow your mission more closely and the money will follow.

Worst place I've ever worked.

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

None. Seriously, none. I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

This was by far the most political place I ever worked. Ask the wrong person the wrong work-related question and you are basically written up, verbally reprimanded, or even fired. I have never seen such exquitsitely sensitive people with such fragile egos. The building itself is a leaking bug-infested shambles, boiling hot in some areas and freezing cold in others. The break area is a joke. Parking's a joke. People in IT don't even have cubes; they hot-desk. You can't reach out to anyone for help because of the unwritten rules and structure of the place so if you're the type who likes to get things done, work elsewhere. If you're a BA or a PM, forget about having a life. If you're in fundraising, you will be screamed at on a regular basis.

Change EVERYTHING.