American Heart Association

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

Quite miserable.

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Life-saving mission and great volunteers/survivors who are compelled to do great work.

Cons

There is no upward mobility for staff in support positions. You will rarely be referred to by your name as "admin" is sufficient. If you have a manager who focuses on your professional development, you are in the minority. The mission is great but the Chicago office is a death trap. Turnover is a serious issue - in my 16 months at the organization, I saw over 20 staff members rotate in and out of the office. Don't expect any support or understanding from HR. Getting a week off at Christmas means that you do not get many other holidays off. Expect the rug to be pulled out from under you at any moment.

Learn how to manage and value your employees - even the ones that don't raise money. Understand that a diverse workplace is not optional, especially in a city like Chicago. Your entire corporate development team should not resemble a sorority house at a college or university.

224 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

Horrible place to work

I have been working at American Heart Association

Pros

Good mission and creative fundraising events. Good benefits and large company .

Cons

I have no respect for this organization regarding the work environment. There is no room for creativity and management has too much control with no checks and balances.

Treat employees like you would want to be treated. Supervisors have too much control and no one watching their performances.

Loved the work, loved the flexibility, loved the cause.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Overall it was a very flexible and supportive environment. I was able to have a family, work full time, and adjust my in office schedule to meet my needs via work from home and flexible hours opportunities. Plus, at the end of the day I was completely passionate about the overall mission and goals of the company. I truly loved and enjoyed my job.

Cons

I worked very very long hours, had to travel frequently, and didn't feel the title or pay was commiserate with my job function and requirements.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association