American Heart Association

www.heart.org
  www.heart.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association

American Heart Association - Western Affiliate management needs a lesson in management

Former Employee - Coordinator in Burlingame, CA
Former Employee - Coordinator in Burlingame, CA

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

It's a non profit organization that's working to eliminate heart disease and stroke

Cons

People working there are dedicated and nice, management however is like a boys club. There's a very high turnover within the organization. People leave or let go with no explanations. Coordinators and fund raisers are given high goals while COO and CEO of affiliations make over $200K per year. While working for AHA Western State Affiliation what I didn't understand is if the association was running on money donated by ordinary people how come managers were making six figures and everyday workers were getting average salaries.

My old boss, VP of IT was the worst possible manager I have ever had. He micromanaged me to death. I hated going to work everyday because I didn't want to face him. I seriously believe that my departure from AHA was the best thing that happened to me. I was under so much stress because of my boss, I can't put into words. Management needs to eliminate the boys club environment and hold managers accountable for the high turnover within the organization.

230 Other Employee Reviews for American Heart Association (View Most Recent)

work as a team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association

Pros

what they do for the community, the research that is conducted. National office seems to have it more together than the separate entities. National is good at trying to provide motivation, a cheerleader of sorts.

Cons

too much after hours work and slow to change with the times. Fundraisers are reluctant to share their contacts with each other which results in a very silo and company focused view rather than a customer view. No team atmosphere in many of the divisions.

take some risks, listen to your staff and try new ways. Try and dispel the rivalry between fund raising teams and work as a team. Companies don't want several staff members contacting them with their own agendas-need to be more customer focused.

Good mission but hard to stay inspired

Former Employee - Heart Walk Director
    Former Employee - Heart Walk Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work hard, you will be quickly promoted and the pay is relatively competitive for a non-profit. This is a great job for someone early in their career that is looking to improve their title and able to live with mediocre pay (hey, it is still a non-profit). This is also the most corporate-style non-profit that I have worked with. If you like structure, this is a good option.

Cons

They will work you ragged so your passion for the mission dwindles. There is a lot of turn-over and the office culture can be a bit catty.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association