American Humane Association

Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for American Humane Association

Corporate Green Invades the Non Profit

I have been working at American Humane Association

Pros

Generous paid time off policy and you can take your dogs to work. Others think you are a person of Virtue.

Cons

Self interest trumps integrity. Retaliation and Hostility are routine . Administrative incompetence and a tragic misuse of non profit dollars.

Board Members should pay attention. Board members should not use their position for personal gain, financially or otherwise.In addition, individuals should remain honest about business ventures that pose a conflict of interest when acting as arepresentative of the organization. Board members should not be able to hire their own "consulting" company.

40 Other Employee Reviews for American Humane Association (View Most Recent)

definitely would not recommend, tread carefully.

I worked at American Humane Association

Pros

bringing your dogs to work
    some fun and competent people (current management not included)
    flexible hours

Cons

incredibly mis-managed. Employees get no respect at all from management. In the recent lay-offs, employees were told their last day was two days later. No thank you, no emotion, just coldly dismissed. Money is continually misappropriated. Management continues to be incompetent, rude to employees, disrespectful and has absolutely no knowledge of what the employees actually do. Although they tout animal protection often, this really is all smoke and mirrors. The outside world has little respect for the organization and tends to just dismiss it. The same problems occur year after year and little is changed when there are serious problems.

Stop spending money on absurd ideas, get back to the mission and treat employees as if they matter. Fire all upper level management, get new people in that actually have animal knowledge as well as people skills. Preferably someone with compassion, intelligence and patience. None of which occurs with current management.

The jury's still out.

I have been working at American Humane Association

Pros

Great employees and dedicated staff who genuinely care about the mission. Some are more competent than others -- unfortunately, in this economy, more nonprofits need to run like businesses -- and demand great performance, high levels of expertise, and impact from employees. Things are definitely looking up at this organization, as it was nearly on the verge of closing its doors this past year due to mismanagement of a bequest which allowed the organization to grow beyond its means in the 5 years leading up to the new CEO's leadership. While it's been a rocky year, full of staff changes as the other reviews note, some things are being right-sized and made better - incredibly difficult work but it is starting to show promising returns.

Cons

I am concerned that we might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, that in so many changes and so much focus on revenue and building sustainability for the organization, we are also losing great talent or at least the opportunity to improve the substance of our work. Many of the changes were indeed necessary, despite what folks have posted, yet we need to ensure we are being smart and not sacrificing our mission. Also, I have never worked so hard in my life as I have here -- and that's not necessarily a good thing. The expecation to be connected and on email, phone, etc. after work hours, on weekends, and on vacation is overwhelming, and is signficantly impacting my wellbeing and ability to achieve any semblance of work/life balance. For those who have commtited to staying with the organization, or those who have been brought on board over the past year, the probability of severe burnout and frustration is high. Frankly, while I'm committed to these changes and think the leadership changes that are taking place are positive, I am not sure how long I will last due to burnout!

Communicate more to all staff. Keep others in loop about plans and strategies. Move forward but bring everyone along.

There are newer employer reviews for American Humane Association