American Humane Association

www.americanhumane.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Humane Association

Toxic workplace

I worked at American Humane Association

Pros

You can bring your pet to work. Several programs have made a positive impact.

Cons

Recent, haphazard downsizing has created a toxic work environment at AHA. Employees of more than five years were laid off without severance pay. Employees were given multiple and conflicting messages about the recent downsizing and office closure.

Despite the tough times the organization is facing, leaders should maintain integrity and sound decision-making; at AHA, they're not. One of the poor decisions made involves selling and giving away the organization's email lists to advertisers, in this way disrespecting its donors.

Hire individuals with skills and experience, rather than contacts from your personal network. Adhere to fundraising best practices. Respect your employees and honor your donors.

41 Other Employee Reviews for American Humane Association (View Most Recent)

Horribly Managed. Potentially life ruining.

I worked at American Humane Association

Pros

Some of their work is commendable.

Cons

I have never seen so many people quit and so many layoffs in my whole working career - even in the years past being a server in restaurants. Within less than a year, I had seen upwards to 50 people get laid off or quit. One department had so many people quit there was only 1 or 2 people left to operate it. The communication in upper management is horrific. You can set dates for meetings and they will ditch out at the last minute without any notice until you just give up waiting for them to arrive. When people are laid-off, fired or quit...there is no training. You are left holding the bag and are immediately responsible for taking over whatever tasks remain to be done - even if you have no knowledge of the job. A pay raise for the extra work-load? Forget about it!

I say this place is potentially life ruining because working here lands you the risk of getting laid-off at any given moment. I am one of those that was laid-off. Fortunately for me, I bounced back quickly and found a replacement job before I was tossed out to the streets because I no longer had money to support my family, pay my mortgage or my car...or even eat. The nerve of this organization to lay-people off in this awful economy on the verge of a double-dip is disgusting. Why is it disgusting? People are being laid off now - not because of money - but because they want to move all the operations to the new D.C. office. Yeah - you read that right. They are not ruining people's lives right now for money - it's because they want to move! So...as long as this organization is located in Colorado...DO NOT WORK HERE - you will inevitably lose your job!

Learn to communicate with and appreciate the people that make this organization run. The donors supply the money...but it's the employees that get the money from the donors!

Worst working experience of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Humane Association

Pros

Bring your dog to work. That is all.

Cons

I don't have any experience with the new leadership, as I served under the Wheatley regime. Senior management was constantly worried about taking a position on any issue, people were hired that did not know what they were doing, and in general, a very unhappy place to work. Everyone seemed to be looking down at each other. It was constant politics inside the office.

-show appreciation towards employees. It is usually the least paid doing the hardest work.

There are newer employer reviews for American Humane Association