American Income Life
www.ailife.com Waco, TX

Outstanding for Beginners!!! But There is Much Better Out There for the Experienced.

Field Agent (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO

ProsI have put a letter next to each item because I will expound on each below.

A. Outstanding training program
B. Structure promotes strong work ethic
C. Excellent referral system
D. The sales system works - period - and you make money
E. Commission and bonus structure is okay

ConsV. AIL's core market is waning
W. Extremely limited product offering
X. You will work 70-80 hours per week
Y. Several hours wasted per week in "rah-rah" cheerleader meetings
Z. Torchmark (AIL's parent company), and AIL itself, are baby gazelles among a pride of lions

A. In my opinion, the training program is the best in the industry, for what AIL does.
B. You work hard in a structured, scheduled environment, and you will develop good habits that will help you down the road.
C. The referral system works well and you will get off to a fast start. Also, it circumvents the needs to sell to friends and family, and this is a plus for some people. My office zealously promoted how great it is that you don't have to sell to friends and family, and used that to attract new hires. However, you will find that the most successful agents are happy and excited to sell to family because 1. they believe in their product and want to help people with it, and 2. have that outgoing personality. If you have qualms about selling to friends & fam, I invite you to reconsider your profession/company.
D. At AIL, there are only two reasons you will not make money. 1. You don't go to work (you don't set appointments), and 2. you don't know what you're saying (you deviate from the videos/script).
E. The commission structure is okay, but as I state in the title - there is better out there.

V. AIL's niche market is unions and union members, and low-income, working-class families that are referred. Unions are not only falling apart on their own, but Right-to-Work legislation will continue to be passed and diminish the core market.
W. You will offer only very limited low face value life insurance products (that the vast majority of your clientele cannot afford) and hospital and cancer plans that 99% of the time are not needed. Also, the potential good you can do for families and the money that is "left on the table" because you can't/don't sell retirement, savings, or debt solution products is simply staggering.
X. Because of V. and W., you will work - alot. Your market can afford only small policies, and small policies means low commissions, even though the commission structure is decent. This means you need to make many, many more sales and work MANY more hours here to make the same money you would with less hours somewhere better. This is not necessarily all bad, as it will put you in good work habits. But, you will eat, sleep, and breathe AIL. Beware: you cannot have a healthy family life and be an AIL agent.
Y. Admittedly, this is my opinion. Cheesy motivational meetings are unnecessary for me. But, they are necessary for the management to keep you involved and engaged, because, after time, you will begin to see that again, as has been said earlier, there is better out there when you get some experience.
Z. Torchmark and AIL are among the smallest entities in the national and international financial services/life insurance industry, both in dollar figures and in offices/personnel.

Sales is an amazing field! Truly, the income potential is nearly unlimited. You can achieve a dream life, its all about how excited you are. My recommendation to you: if you're new to sales, get in with AIL and spend 3, 6, maybe 12 months there. The experience will be invaluable, But, don't stick around - there is much better out there. Work hard, learn, and move forward. After you get experience, or if you are experienced, I would invite you to check out PRI. And, incidentally, if you're in the state of Missouri, call the local office and we'll get in touch; I'd love to have you on my team and take us both to the top.

I hope I was able to help you!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou created a great company and you run it reasonably well.

Unprofessional Managers at their FINEST!!!

Supervising Agent (Former Employee)
    Concord, CA

I worked at American Income Life as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros: Decent company to contract with with great bonus incentives, provides… Cons: TERRIBLE management in agency and harassment of agents. Unprofessional working environment. Not the true definition of 1099 agents, should… Advice to Senior Management: Have more control over the SGA's and RGA's running the agencies,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

It was ok while it lasted

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
    Jackson, MS

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros: You can make a lot of money within a short… Cons: Its hard to last in the industry especially if you… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Income Life.

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!

American Income Life – Why Work for Us?

About American Income Life Insurance Company American Income Life Insurance Company (AIL) is one of the largest providers of supplemental insurance coverage to labor unions, credit unions, and associations. American… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Income Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Income Life CEO Roger Smith . All reviews posted anonymously by American Income Life employees.