There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

It was a good experience

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

The company has a lot of nice people, which is makes it a relaxed environment to work in. The company is also located in a great location

Cons

Can get stuck on projects for a long time. There is little to no ability for job growth. The company is basically a glass ceiling.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a way for people to move up within the company, which there isn't. This isn't a place anyone can work for a long time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

In the two years I worked there, I never met anyone who respected the top management.

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

The research projects are engaging, valuable, and interesting.

Cons

I worked for a manager who demeaned and criticized her employees in front of the client. She was astonishingly abusive and unprofessional. Several of us complained to HR, but HR seemed to be under pressure to stand behind the manager because she brought in big projects. Her department became a revolving door for new employees who worked for as short a period as possible. We tried to stay for three years so as not to harm our work histories. However,most of us couldn't stick it out for more than a year. It was that bad! I personally knew five people who were traumatized by the whole experience and were upset even after they left because they knew they would never get a good letter of recommendation from the manager.

Advice to Management

Managers have to be good people as well as fine researchers and project managers. It's not wise to protect abusive managers, and it certainly is not fair or humane.

Great benefits, and some projects great. No career support, and little appreciation of existing assets.

I have been working at American Institutes for Research

Pros

Opportunity to work on projects that could make the world better. Good support for families.

Cons

No career support, little opportunity to grow, constant pressure to bill to clients. Long terms prospects limited by inability to change.

Advice to Management

David Myers is still fairly new, may have opportunity to prove himself. Suggest he hold upper management of each division accountable for staff satisfaction and business development.