American Institutes for Research

www.air.org
  www.air.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

In the two years I worked there, I never met anyone who respected the top management.

Former Employee - Research Analyst
Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

The research projects are engaging, valuable, and interesting.

Cons

I worked for a manager who demeaned and criticized her employees in front of the client. She was astonishingly abusive and unprofessional. Several of us complained to HR, but HR seemed to be under pressure to stand behind the manager because she brought in big projects. Her department became a revolving door for new employees who worked for as short a period as possible. We tried to stay for three years so as not to harm our work histories. However,most of us couldn't stick it out for more than a year. It was that bad! I personally knew five people who were traumatized by the whole experience and were upset even after they left because they knew they would never get a good letter of recommendation from the manager.

Managers have to be good people as well as fine researchers and project managers. It's not wise to protect abusive managers, and it certainly is not fair or humane.

107 Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, and some projects great. No career support, and little appreciation of existing assets.

I have been working at American Institutes for Research

Pros

Opportunity to work on projects that could make the world better. Good support for families.

Cons

No career support, little opportunity to grow, constant pressure to bill to clients. Long terms prospects limited by inability to change.

David Myers is still fairly new, may have opportunity to prove himself. Suggest he hold upper management of each division accountable for staff satisfaction and business development.

Pretty good.

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

Laid back culture; dress is business casual, and the work is very stable because it is a nonprofit. Otherwise great.

Cons

There's a definite PhD/non-PhD divide. Also, the salaries are low at best compared to other work, and the offices are a little inefficient.

If you pay more you'll be able to get better people. Other than that, just keep up the good work.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research