There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Health division is poorly managed and lacks interesting work.

Current Employee - Project Specialist  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Project Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a great reputation, benefits, and work/life balance. Schedules are flexible, and there is an option to telecommute sometimes.

Cons

The work is mostly administrative and often hard to come by. The new health innovation sub-division is unorganized and poorly managed. As a result, many project associates and project specialists do not have enough work to stay busy on a consistent basis, breeding unnecessary competition and territorial behavior. The salary is on the low-side as well.

Pay attention to junior staff and put more effort into effectively managing large projects.

94 Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research (View Most Recent)

Great people, interesting work, comfortable work environment

Former Employee - Research Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at American Institutes for Research for more than a year

Pros

Great people
    Comfortable lifestyle
    High level of work life balance

Cons

Slow paced
    Political office environment
    Low pay

To attract and retain young talent, it may help to pay more. The benefits are great, the work environment is very pleasant but it is just not a very exciting place to work. It may be the nature of the work itself as education research can be slow and tedious.

Overall great company - but it all depends who your boss(es) and what department you're in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many social events throughout the year
    Good paid time off schedule
    Wonderful office location ( The HQ )
    Small gym with showers, etc ( The HQ )
    Very cheap parking
    Comparatively cheap medical / dental benefits
    Relaxed dress code
    Young staff environment
    Sports teams

Cons

The department and time I was at AIR allowed me to advance quickly and work on and learn new things often. However from my co-workers I know other areas of the company it was very hard to get promoted or a raise, and that they were over-stressed and worked.

I can say as a whole the company provided me a very positive experience, but for others I understand and can agree with their complaints of departments that I did not work in.

Work on employee retention by treating junior staff better, ensuring the workload is not overwhelming, and giving their managers training on how to develop their employees.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!