There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Non-profit-level pay for hard work

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, multitude of topical areas and expertise, casual dress code, terrific HR team, great on-boarding experience, positive experience with direct manager, interactive wellness and activity programs. Overall positive experience but not a long-term career place for me personally.

Cons

Mediocre pay, little to no recognition for going above and beyond (in hours, workload, or effort). Little support for transitioning out of your level or to another program or position. Too much focus on PhD work and little valuation for experience earned. Often too specialized to allow for generalists in certain fields.

Listen to your lower-level staff to get a pulse on staff morale. Tap into the solid talent which exists at every level of the company.

reviews filtered by

Mid-level

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package they offer is excellent.

Cons

I have worked at AIR more than 5 years without a promotion. Your worth as an employee is soley determined by your degree. Company claims to offer merit raises but my above average performance review brought the same 2% that was given to employees with average reviews. I was told everyone got the same raise but I just read here that someone got 4%. Level 2 and 3 employees get no respect. Employees are not used to their potential. A lot depends on who your manager is.

Software Engineer

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working time,
    working from home,
    intelligent colleagues

Cons

lack of objective criteria for performance review. way to get promoted is unclear.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research