There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Great place to work

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits. A good place to grow and a good start for entry level employees fresh from college.

Cons

Can be tough to move up

reviews filtered by
  1. Miserable experience

Former Intern - Curriculum Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Curriculum Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I hear they have good benefits, but I just worked as an intern, so I didn't get them. Bagel Wednesdays were pretty cool.

Cons

BORING! Maybe it was just what I was doing, but even my bosses just did the same stuff. Over and over again. No training.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually work with your interns. All the interns were sitting in a room alone with nothing to do.

Ever try eating soup with a knife? Now imagine the soup tastes like sewer water and bleach..

Current Employee - No One of Any Particular Importance
    Current Employee - No One of Any Particular Importance

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

Benefits are ok, some locations you get your own office apparently,laptop was decent, holiday party was nice. Worked with some very bright people. If you enter the company at a high enough level, you can lock in for the long haul judging by the length of tenures of some. Folks in DC seem to like the locale.

Cons

Directionless unimaginative task oriented work, very stagnant culture, little incentive to excel since promotion is so rare, talents appear to waste horribly, exceptional lack of transparency at the senior strategic management level, non-productive competitiveness, lack of business development foresight, quite gossipy, lack of consistency as to how rules are applied, lack of clarity and consistency on key policies, experience will vary
    greatly by project. It is easy to be sucked into the "potential" of what could be early on.

Advice to Management

Current operating structure is counter productive to securing more lucrative business opportunities in health, communications and digital media. May work in less competitive areas though. There is a lot of talent wasting in the organization. Very poor job so far.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research