There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Lots of flexibility but very little opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of flexibility in terms of work hours, PTO, and telecommuting options.

Cons

Regardless of your skills and accomplishments, promotions and salary increases are arbitrary and extremely difficult to obtain. Training for new employees is virtually non-existent. It's sink or swim. Not an ideal place for a long-term job.

Invest on professional development to retain talented employees and offer training tools to new employees. Reduce perks like free happy hours and instead reward your most productive employees.

94 Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research (View Most Recent)

Miserable experience

Former Employee - Curriculum Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Curriculum Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I hear they have good benefits, but I just worked as an intern, so I didn't get them. Bagel Wednesdays were pretty cool.

Cons

BORING! Maybe it was just what I was doing, but even my bosses just did the same stuff. Over and over again. No training.

Maybe actually work with your interns. All the interns were sitting in a room alone with nothing to do.

Challenging work, great colleagues--but low pay"

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

At AIR you get to work with talented, intelligent people with diverse expertise on a daily basis. You are constantly learning from others. Although it really varies depending on who your manager is, some managers are really great at providing opportunities for career development.

The work is intellectually stimulating and at times can be fun.

The benefits are decent and the flexible work day is a nice perk.

Cons

Salaries for research assistants and research associates are too low. Most research associates have Master's degrees and pay ranges from 45,000 to 55,000. \

Many divisions have too much work for the number of people working. Some employees have been able to implement a work-life balance, but overall people do not have work-life balance.

Reduce perks like free bagel Wednesdays and free beverages and instead use the money save to recognize your most productive workers.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!