American Institutes for Research
www.air.org Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

A place to end up, not to start

Research Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- some great managers
- good benefits
- interesting work, if you have luck

Can be very good work if you end up on the right projects with the right project directors. Unfortunately assignments are made based on staff availability, not interests or qualifications. Timing is everything here.

Difficult to advance from within but a great deal if you are going in as a senior manager. More flexibility in which assignments you work on, based on your experience.

Cons- extremely low pay
- no checks and balances system on sr. mgmt
- not very fair, different rules for different employees

The pay is offensive. You can make 25-35% more at a similar company. No negotiating power unless you have a salary history, even then they might not be able to accommodate you.

How well you fare depends on how much your supervisor advocates for you/how well they are liked by senior mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people who are good at supervising supervise, let people who are better at research just research. Being a brilliant PhD does not mean you should mentor lower level staff. You might assume working in education research would make people realize teachable moments...but it doesn't.

And pay more.

My experience working there was amazing.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern for less than a year

Pros: The development team there is really talented and have lots… Cons: They tend to work more on modifying a previous made… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A good company that invests in its own people (helps to have an advanced degree)

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great location, good pay and benefits for a non-profit, flexible schedules. They also value independent… Cons: Limited room for advancement in a lot of cases. Not all positions at the company are like… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on American Institutes for Research.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Institutes for Research reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Institutes for Research CEO David Myers. All reviews posted anonymously by American Institutes for Research employees.