American Institutes for Research

www.air.org

Excellent non-profit organization in educational software and services

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexible working time
Small-sized office room with no more than three persons, giving a very good working privacy.
Free coffee, soda and orange juice give extra score of the working environment.

Cons

Part of the work is related to research and therefore, sometimes yields to no practical results.
My manager is too busy to talk with me.

Other reviews for American Institutes for Research

Overall a good first job for someone who has a bachelors degree in social science (sociology in my case).

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

If you studied a social science in undergrad and are interest in conducting research, AIR is a good starting place to actually put the research skills that you learned in undergrad to use. Working as a Research Assistant at AIR was my first job out of undergrad and while I did do many entry level tasks (note taking, filing, printing, etc.) the senior staff that I worked with definitely trained me and gave me opportunities to really use my research skills. During my time at AIR I got to help with cognitive interviews, proposal management, budgets, focus groups, statistical analysis, literature reviews, and planning technical expert panels.

Cons

1. The salary for lower level staff: AIR hired me in at $35,000 and was not willing to negotiate. There is only so much money that one can get for this type of work as an RA but there are definitely companies that will pay in the forty thousands.
    2. The out of the way office locations: AIR should consider putting their Washington DC and Silver Spring office locations on the metro. Many of their competitors do this.
    3. Corporate is not invested in junior level staff: Corporate is told again and again when junior staff leave that we are not paid appropriately for the Washington D.C. area. I know their attitude is to be less invested in RA's since we leave after a few years but our salaries are not appropriate. While I felt like the senior staff in my department were invested in me and were sad to see me leave I felt that corporate saw me as completely replaceable. During my time at AIR, corporate cut our holiday party and continuously hired in new institute fellows and VPs but the RAs saw very little change in our salaries.

Pay your Research Assistants salaries in the forty thousands. I would have stayed longer.

Statistician

Current Employee - Statistician  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Statistician in Washington, DC

Pros

nice group and great working environment

Cons

located in Georgetown, the commute may be a problem

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!