American Institutes for Research

www.air.org
  www.air.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

A good first job but kind of boring.

Former Employee - Research Assistant
Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros

For a first "real" job, I felt I had great pay and benefits and some substantial work. I was glad to be working a full-time job when so many friends could only find internships. My manager got me on a lot of different project tasks and was certainly interested in my professional development.

Cons

The day-to-day job functions can be pretty boring: entering survey data, filling out spreadsheets, etc. In general, I rarely felt intellectually challenged by my work.

Introduce research assistants to project design early on so they have a better idea of how their work contributes to the bigger picture.

107 Other Employee Reviews for American Institutes for Research (View Most Recent)

Excellent non-profit organization in educational software and services

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible working time
    Small-sized office room with no more than three persons, giving a very good working privacy.
    Free coffee, soda and orange juice give extra score of the working environment.

Cons

Part of the work is related to research and therefore, sometimes yields to no practical results.
    My manager is too busy to talk with me.

Overall a good first job for someone who has a bachelors degree in social science (sociology in my case).

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you studied a social science in undergrad and are interest in conducting research, AIR is a good starting place to actually put the research skills that you learned in undergrad to use. Working as a Research Assistant at AIR was my first job out of undergrad and while I did do many entry level tasks (note taking, filing, printing, etc.) the senior staff that I worked with definitely trained me and gave me opportunities to really use my research skills. During my time at AIR I got to help with cognitive interviews, proposal management, budgets, focus groups, statistical analysis, literature reviews, and planning technical expert panels.

Cons

1. The salary for lower level staff: AIR hired me in at $35,000 and was not willing to negotiate. There is only so much money that one can get for this type of work as an RA but there are definitely companies that will pay in the forty thousands.
    2. The out of the way office locations: AIR should consider putting their Washington DC and Silver Spring office locations on the metro. Many of their competitors do this.
    3. Corporate is not invested in junior level staff: Corporate is told again and again when junior staff leave that we are not paid appropriately for the Washington D.C. area. I know their attitude is to be less invested in RA's since we leave after a few years but our salaries are not appropriate. While I felt like the senior staff in my department were invested in me and were sad to see me leave I felt that corporate saw me as completely replaceable. During my time at AIR, corporate cut our holiday party and continuously hired in new institute fellows and VPs but the RAs saw very little change in our salaries.

Pay your Research Assistants salaries in the forty thousands. I would have stayed longer.

There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research