American Institutes for Research

www.air.org

A good first job but kind of boring.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFor a first "real" job, I felt I had great pay and benefits and some substantial work. I was glad to be working a full-time job when so many friends could only find internships. My manager got me on a lot of different project tasks and was certainly interested in my professional development.

ConsThe day-to-day job functions can be pretty boring: entering survey data, filling out spreadsheets, etc. In general, I rarely felt intellectually challenged by my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce research assistants to project design early on so they have a better idea of how their work contributes to the bigger picture.

Excellent non-profit organization in educational software and services

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Flexible working time Small-sized office room with no more than three persons, giving a very… Cons: Part of the work is related to research and therefore, sometimes yields… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Overall a good first job for someone who has a bachelors degree in social science (sociology in my case).

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than a year

Pros: If you studied a social science in undergrad and are interest in conducting research, AIR is a good starting place to actually put the research… Cons: 1. The salary for lower level staff: AIR hired me in at $35,000 and was not willing to negotiate. There is only so much money… Advice to Senior Management: Pay your Research Assistants salaries in the forty thousands. I… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Institutes for Research.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!