American Institutes for Research

www.air.org

A very interesting hybrid of strong nonprofit mission with corporate structure

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent benefits, flexible schedules and an understanding of work-life balance; strong dedication to mission - although you may be doing business-like work it is always focused on the desire to make good change in the world. My salary is excellent compared to traditional nonprofits (although it sounds like the entry-level positions less so). Have always had lots of opportunity for professional development. Enjoy working with professional, nice people across the org here and in other offices.

ConsSome of the programs are more difficult to work with than others. A lot of the negative reviews here sound like they are from people working in one particular program that has a reputation for not valuing its people, requiring long hours and having poor management. BUT, the other programs and the administrative units have some really good people, good management, and good opportunities for advancement. If you are interviewing here you just need to keep that in mind and try to get a feel for the personality and management style of the group you'd be working in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for a more consistent experience for all employees - work harder to help staff under difficult managers and to make sure people are rewarded, recognized and promoted without cronyism or favoritism, even if you have to work around those difficult managers.

Good place to work if you've got experience

Research Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research full-time for less than a year

Pros: -I know there are others who said that management was… Cons: -As with other nonprofits, the pay isn't so great -Moving up in… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Lots of good colleagues, but too much work, low pay, and slow promotion

Research Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Firm has some excellent values and attracts some really good people in terms of… Cons: People kill themselves to get work done and are not appreciated - Company has way too many managers who don't really do much of… Advice to Senior Management: be real about what salaries outside the company are and be competitive with - it is very demoralizing to realize you may be hired… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on American Institutes for Research.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!