American Institutes for Research

www.air.org

Getting ahead depends on who you know rather than performance

Researcher (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWith offices around the country, everyone is used to having to work with staff that is located remotely, so the infrastructure is in place for when I need to telecommute. This allows for a better work-life balance.

ConsIt's not an equal playing field. Recognition and promotion depends on who your staff manager is and who you know. When AIR acquired one company a few years ago, all new staff from that company automatically received a promotion of a level or two, so that people that came in from the new company with only a couple of years experience out of college were on par with people who had that same number of years of experience and a Ph.D. because the new VP pushed for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with staff! It's very unfair to say, "You need to do x, y, and z to get a promotion," and then not give out a promotion when x, y, and z are accomplished. What staff needs to do to get ahead shouldn't be a secret and shouldn't depend on who your staff manager happens to be.

Manager at AIR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Institutes for Research full-time

Pros: Good team and location. Company is growing fast. Cons: Bad management style, use one people as three. More

Friendly invironment

Software Tester (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at American Institutes for Research as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: working environment is great. People and great to work with Cons: I don't have anything negative to say about the company Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on American Institutes for Research.

Worked for American Institutes for Research? Contribute to the Community!