American Legislative Exchange Council

Solid Experience and Great People

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council

Pros

This is a great place to intern as you truly are given substantial work and room to grow. Also, they seem quite willing to move interns into permanent positions when able. Management is also very friendly and open.

Cons

As an intern, you aren't paid. So, that's a reason to intern elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

reviews filtered by
  1. Not bad for an unpaid internship

Current Employee - Meetings
    Current Employee - Meetings

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council

Pros

I was an intern, and it is an unpaid position. Not uncommon for DC. But if you must take an unpaid internship, this is a good one. It has perks! They pay for your travel and lunches, and all sorts of training. The people you work with are nice, friendly. Its a small office so you'll work with everyone a bit.

Cons

Not getting paid. They have enough corporate sponsors, you'd think someone would fork over for the interns.

Advice to Management

You are competent and intelligent. I have no complaints. If only I were conservative I would go work for you forever.

2. One of the Top Internships in D.C.

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, you have the opportunity to write, research, work with state legislators and attend events on the Hill, at the National Press Club and other venues in D.C. Furthermore, the guest speaker lunches on Wednesdays are invaluable - I learned how to better my future from these speakers. You really are like 'one of the staff' because you have so many opportunities. Much of the work that legislative analysts do, you will be doing as well.
    From this internship, I have become a better writer, a more-efficient researcher, a better communicator, a better networker and I have increased my network greatly as I have had the chance to meet many influential people.

Cons

Had to do some printing and folder-stuffing, but only for a week or two.
    Unpaid (although they do pay for lunch once per week and reimburse travel expenses).

Advice to Management

For non-task force members: From an intern's perspective, it would be nice to interact more. I would have loved to get to know you and pick your brain for advice. Furthermore, I would have loved to know what you do on a day-to-day basis. You were all very friendly, but I didn't get to know any of you and I would have gotten more out of this internship if you had imparted some of your wisdom to me.