American Marketing and Publishing

www.ampcorporate.com
  www.ampcorporate.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

Great Rewards for hard work!

Current Employee - Territory Closer  in  Madison, WI
Current Employee - Territory Closer in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're reading this you are contemplating working for AMP. I was where you are 8 months ago. I am one of the top 20 sales reps in the company out of a couple hundred. I receive a modest base salary, benefits, training, and advice everyday for doing what is expected of me; be in the field during specified hours, make 40 stops, record your day. It's more than I received as a Restaurant Manager working 80 hours a week for many years. Now, because I have a strong work ethic, am organized, am a quick learner, and have the desire to succeed; I am also earning commission, bonuses, and extra paid time off. Because of my work and the rewards AMP offers for my success I now have a great job, fantastic bosses, a new car, debts paid, and just recently put an offer in on a house. You don't get anything in life for nothing.

Cons

The wear and tear on your vehicle can be a lot if you don't make your stops in geographical order. Otherwise the commute everyday is no different than most people I know. If you are smart you save your reciepts, keep track of mileage, and have a very good accountant. You also don't need to buy a new car...buy used with great mpg.
Your job is a lot EASIER if you have the internet, a smartphone, gps, and a laptop. Your job is not IMPOSSIBLE without these things. I didn't have a smartphone, gps, or a working laptop until after my first commission check.
The balance between life and work must be managed carefully. I am a single mother who is involved in her community and always there for her friends and family, yet I am also a successful sales rep at AMP. I recently used the analogy of having a new baby: The first 3 months with your first newborn are hell. You don't get enough sleep, you are constantly working to keep the baby happy, and you don't leave the house much. The first 3 months at AMP are very hard too. You have to listen and learn, find a routine that works for you and your family, and look to more seasoned reps for advice. By the time your baby is a year old you can't believe how fast it went by and how easy it all was. The greatest rewards come from the greatest sacrifices.

I have the best district manager and regional vice president I could ask for. They are dedicated, positive, and hardworking individuals who I look up to everyday. I can call or text them whenever I have a question and they will answer immediately or get back to me as soon as possible. They have a job to do too. My advice? Keep up the great work!

169 Other Employee Reviews for American Marketing and Publishing (View Most Recent)

Set up to fail. Hoax!

Former Employee - Sales  in  DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Holiday Inn Express you are put up at during training. The only positive to this company and job! If there was a no-star rating, they would deservedly get this.

Cons

Well, after running down the road killing myself to make sales, working 60+ hours per week basically in the field and 2 - 3 hours a night doing paperwork and more canvassing, spending $250/week in gas when you are reimbursed $300 for the entire month, and management who when you ask for help or some guidance, totally blows you off, it's a no-win situation. The saying is if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I was set to be of under 3000 people and less than 200 businesses for 6 weeks. Really. I was required to see 40 businesses per day. Well, do the math. Six weeks times 200 calls per week is 1200 businesses you are supposed to visit...in a town that has less than 200 and that's according to list they give you to go off! When I expressed my concern about being out of businesses to see that I had already stopped at 3 or 4 times, I was told to deal with it . I was set up to fail! Found out on my first paycheck they have every reason to deduct from you. If you do not hit the $10,000 sales threshold, you are deducted $350 from your paycheck. If you didn't sell at text marketing package you were deducted another $150. If you are minutes late to your "assigned territory" they ding your gas allowance. So there goes your base salary you are making and basically end up in the hole. My district manager took all of the "big" leads, renewals (cover spots on the book worth more $$ and commission) and left me to scrounge for home-based businesses, knocking on home-based business people's doors at 7:00 at night. Found out if you start to slide in sales (which you are going to once you run out of businesses to see) and ask for help or advice, you are pushed off and ignored. I was so determined only to be set up to fail. Was so disappointed until I read online the reviews posted by other former employees--guess what, I made the right decision before they sucked anymore life out of me. When they tell if you have a problem, the CEO has an "open door policy," that yet is another lie. He promises to call you, but then turns around and calls your manager which you are basically given the option to quit or be fired when you call them out on their low business standards. If you are going to quit your job to go to work for AMP, don't.

Set your threshold structure according to the size of the towns your reps are put in.

Sales is rough, think carefully before you take this job.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Wauconda, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Wauconda, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice people work there, good management

You can make good money if you work very hard and very long days

They do warn you that the job will be very exhausting and emotionally draining

They do reimburse you for some of your gas

Cons

Most businesses don't have any interest in the products

Text packages almost never renew - print customers renew hesitantly if at all

Three week training is crammed into a week to make up for their incredibly high turnover rate

44hour work week is a lie, you will work at least 55hours a week with all of the preparation needed

You're making $9/hour when all is said and done

This will be your new life if you take this job, know what you're getting yourself into.

Slow down the training and extend the canvas planning to more than one day.

There are newer employer reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

Worked for American Marketing and Publishing? Contribute to the Community!