American Marketing and Publishing

There are newer employer reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

Upbeat and suppoertive

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

supportive co-workers, ongoing training, great benefits

Cons

a lot of hours above and beyond the 44 hours in the field

186 Other Employee Reviews for American Marketing and Publishing (View Most Recent)

Enjoy recognition, supportive leadership, great training, and good compensation for your (admittedly) very rigorous work

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eau Claire, WI

Pros

I feel proud and lucky to work for a company that emphasizes, as its foremost value, high-quality, reputable, honest, and helpful products and services for the small business owners who are the backbone of local economies. I am perpetually impressed by the high level of mentoring and training that is consistently offered to ensure that reps like me can exceed sales goals, enjoy the work we do, and be recognized and rewarded for our ever-higher achievements.

The people at all levels of the organization are the salt of the earth. Our leadership team wants us to succeed, and takes time out of their day to personally tell us when we're doing a good job. AMP leadership understands that when they give their reps honest feedback balanced with positive reinforcement, along with the best supportive network and tools available, everybody wins--the company, the rep, and the small business owner alike.

Cons

I work hard! Most of the time that's a good thing for me, personally, but it is rigorous and not necessarily the kind of work everyone wants to do. Our sales role is exclusively comprised of in-person cold-calling to business owners who are sometimes exceptionally wonderful to work with, but sometimes extremely rude or disagreeable. The key to combatting these challenges is to keep your brain in check: you can't control what a customer is going to do, but you CAN control how you react to a disappointing call. It's important to deliberately and consistently surround yourself with the winners of the organization--the high achievers and super-positive thinkers who've had some time with the company--in order to avoid the common pitfall of feeling discouraged or worse. So far I have been able to nip any negativity in the bud by employing this very strategy.

It's also really important to follow the AMP model you are taught in training; it works, so don't try to reinvent the wheel. Play ball. Cooperate and graduate. Maybe you already know a lot about sales, or maybe (like me) you have a Masters degree and lots of academic training. Whatever knowledge you have, resist the urge to think you're smarter than the leadership and simply do what is recommended by those in positions above yours; do it with a truly positive attitude, and you'll achieve more than you ever thought you could.

I was a college lecturer before I became a sales rep for AMP; I had no sales experience and struggled at first. It is hard work, and it isn't always buttercups and daisies out in the sales field (we make 40 calls a day in 8-9 hour 5-day work weeks in the sales field, and more than a few of the business owners we visit are belligerent, which can be painful), but if you use the high quality knowledge of the achievers around you, and the ample training materials and strategies AMP has designed for you, you can do the work and you can be great at it. I'm becoming (almost) great at it, which is still hard for an ex-educator newbie to wrap her head around!

Truly great people to work with

Current Employee - First In Representative in Cary, IL
    Current Employee - First In Representative in Cary, IL

Pros

This company provides so many great opportunities and an unlimited amount of tools to be successful. Every project is laid out for you and there is always a great team of people behind you to help you with anything and everything. Its a family owned company and you most defiantly are treated like family. They want nothing more than you to be the best you can be.

Cons

Picking yourself up from a bad day.

There are newer employer reviews for American Marketing and Publishing