American Marketing and Publishing
www.homepagesdirectories.com Dekalb, IL 150 to 499 Employees

Don't work here if you want to have a life!

Senior Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsYou are totally independent and what you put into it is what you will receive in return. I did like my Manager.

ConsMICROMANAGED! You are expected to be in your territory at your start time...and will be called promptly if you are not! You are tracked by your cell phone (shows the address you are at, how fast you are driving in 5 minute increments) and EXPECTED to stay IN your assigned territory. Management is always giving praise, unless you did not sell anything that day. My Manager called me every hour asking if I sold anything! This is not motivating. Company hired 30 in my training class, 3 quit during the class and at the end of the month only 3 of us were left. Major turn over. You burn out fast. You are EXPECTED to make 40 calls per day! Company will deduct from your pay every minute short of 40 hours per week! Most of your sales will come from new business, as they only have about 20% renewal rate. Most large accounts for renewals are given to Closers or Management. Be prepared when you are given a territory that there may have been 2- 3 people who were already in the territory and had been told NO. (Management does not tell you this, you are going in dumb and blind) You are expected to work "Golden hours" 2 nights a week where you work from 10am-7pm, call on home based businesses when they are home eating with their family, chase down service trucks on the street and try to sell them in a parking lot! The only people who make money in this company is management and Sr reps. Commissions are so complicated its hard to tell they are cheating you. You get deducted percentage points for not collecting enough as a down payment, lack of last year collection etc! One month I had to pay them $500! Be prepared to put on 150 miles a day on your car and the company only gives you $60.00 a week for gas. The cell phone is only for 60 minutes a month and if you go over they charge you per minute! Be prepared to be on your own once you finish your training since your manager is constantly interviewing to replace all the turn over, and other sales reps are trying to reach their own quotas. You must type in your daily report of sales activity etc. Weekly reports must be in Friday night, which takes a few hours. Who wants to be doing reports until 8:00 at night on a Friday after a long week? The company has a scam, they wont fire sales reps so they don’t have to pay unemployment...they will take away your tiny salary or make your life miserable until you quit. Run the other way!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou spend alot of money on hiring and training top reps, yet you beat them up and treat them poorly! I am sure if you had managers spend more time with the reps initially in the field you would be able to retain some of the talent you hired. Managers spend too much time interviewing to replace those who quit. Stop being so micromanaging by tracking every moment of the reps day and pay reps for their TRUE expenses than maybe your reps will stay! Realize that reps will have good days and bad days...look at the overall picture b4 you berate a rep because they did not sell something that day, and quit comparing them to other reps. It is not motivating to have a manager call 10 times a day to see if you sold something...lay off! You have a STRICT dress policy, no open toed shoes, length of coats etc. You may want to check out a few of the female reps who are dressing inappropriately and using their sexuality to make sales by flirting with the contractors and business owners.

If your a good seller and willing to pound the pavement all day long, you'll do well...

Renewal Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Park Ridge, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing

Pros: salary benefits potential for growth uncapped salary good training skills although the… Cons: long, long hours that can lead to nothing your salary is dependent on how well you are at convincing, negotiating, etc they expect you… Advice to Senior Management: They do a good job, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to drive… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Renewal Account Representative (Former Employee)
    DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing

Pros: The company is growing rapidly. The management is really focused on expanding market share. Also, The management is very flexible… Cons: Being an account rep is degrading. You will be insulted daily, and there is no respect for the desires of prospects. You will basically be… Advice to Senior Management: Spend more time with new employees in the field. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Marketing and Publishing.

Worked for American Marketing and Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Marketing and Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski . All reviews posted anonymously by American Marketing and Publishing employees.