There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System

Didn't know how good it was...

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor
Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at American Public University System as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Telework. Respect. Good pay for the work. After I started working at 3 other schools, I realized how good APUS / AMU is. They are more like an on-ground school than the 'other' schools I work for.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted - "good ole boys network"

Include the instructional staff in more meetings; be more transparent about policies.

41 Other Employee Reviews for American Public University System (View Most Recent)

Academically rigorous online university

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is serious about providing quality education to online students.

School cares about its staff and treats them as human beings, not (as do some other online schools) pawns to be pushed around on the game board

Cons

Sometimes unnecessarily bureaucratic attitude towards policy creation and implementation.

Unnecessary budget constraints imposed on new product development, textbooks, and software because of policy decisions (not revenues).

Be less driven by short term cost considerations and focus more on the long term consequences of management decisions.

Great company to use as a stepping stone

Former Employee - Financial Aid  in  Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free education, great benefits, ability to telework, work with a good set of people.

Cons

No ability to grow, low pay, job is so easy that you might become complacent and spend your whole career there without advancement.

Do not only promote friends. Give everyone a fair chance.

There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System

Worked for American Public University System? Contribute to the Community!