There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System

Best Adjunct position I've ever had

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Wake Forest, NC
Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Wake Forest, NC

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The students that you work with are usually adult students and very motivate. A lot of active and former military which makes it even better. The online learning environment is solid and they actually use suggestions for improvement. They seem to be expanding the programs that are in demand which should support future growth. I'm hoping this adjunct position will grow into a possible full time position...

Cons

Some initial confusion when starting classes for the first time, a little better communication from course leads would help when starting out.

Keep the push for expanding growing fields like cyber security...

43 Other Employee Reviews for American Public University System (View Most Recent)

One of the best jobs I ever held, sadly cut it short.

Former Employee - Social Media Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Social Media Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location was fantastic for me but the actual job itself turned out to be quite rewarding. I supervised a superlative team and our results were easily tracked. We were also allowed to be creative in encouraging community and interaction with the APU/AMU student body. It was, truly, a wonderful position.

Cons

The biggest problem with APUS is that outside of the actual university (advising, professors, admissions, etc.) is the executive level and HR's attitude towards staff. Shortly after I took the position a neighbor (who contracted with them) described APUS as a "meat grinder" for employees. I got confirmation of that when, during an interview process, my supervisor said (and this is a direct quote) "I would be thrilled if i got six months out of an associate." This is, in a nutshell, how APUS regards their employees.

My first piece of advice from my supervisor was "Look at you team as assets." I preferred to look at my team as people. That was part of my undoing. Perhaps management, HR in particular, should wonder why there is so much turnover outside Academics. Should associates be hired for long term investments as opposed to short-term solutions?

Didn't know how good it was...

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at American Public University System as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telework. Respect. Good pay for the work. After I started working at 3 other schools, I realized how good APUS / AMU is. They are more like an on-ground school than the 'other' schools I work for.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted - "good ole boys network"

Include the instructional staff in more meetings; be more transparent about policies.

There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System