American Public University System

www.apus.edu
  www.apus.edu
There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System

Great place to work, build a career, learn and develop your skills.

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

I enjoy working here because I am surrounded by supporting, collaborative managers and employees that take the time to work with you on achieving your goals and overcoming your challenges. We're a growing University so there's a lot to keep you busy, but everyone keeps their cool and is civil.

I've experienced great opportunities to grow my skills and expand my responsibilities.

Cons

APEI is located in Manassas, Virginia, which is not exactly the greatest hotspot. So it's tough to find a decent place to eat lunch. Our other office is in West Virginia, so traveling between the too can be a bit of a burden, taking about an hour.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for creating a great work environment.

47 Other Employee Reviews for American Public University System (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

If you live in the local Charles Town/Martinsburg area, this company offers good pay and benefits for the area. If you live closer to DC area and commute, pay is average. I think the vacation time and paid holidays are generous. Office buildings in CT are new, modern, and clean.

Cons

Some departments have better managers/culture than others

Used to be a great company

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Telecommuting highly encouraged
    Most teams are thriving with great leaders that care
    Nice staff
    Education assistance program

Cons

Some executive team members are not working together and their VPs are aware but do a good job ignoring it or covering it up.
    Some supervisors lack leadership abilities and leave their managers to do their work.
    Staff does not feel comfortable addressing the issues.

Some supervisors need to step out of their comfort zone so they can actually know their employees and encourage them to grow. Employees agree there is a lack of leadership but they do not feel comfortable addressing the issue. They talk about how other teams flourish and wonder what makes them a good cohesive team but it is easy to see that those supervisors actually care and take the time to know and develop their employees. Also, they probably don't wait until the end of the year to discuss performance. Most likely, they interact with their employees throughout the year and address the good with the bad so they are rewarded with loyal employees. Lastly, leadership should take the time to reach out and let staff know that they care because saying that you have an open door policy is not enough if you are not making yourself available to them.

There are newer employer reviews for American Public University System