www.redcross.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and knowledgable.

Cons

The pay is below average and advancement does not seem likely based upon skill level. It will moreso be determined by who you know.

Start determining the value of employees, new comers as well as those who assisted in the architecture of the buildings. Getting new and fresh thoughts, process and abiltiies, is how businesses grow and flourish!

827 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

The Phoenix location of the American Red Cross, Blood Services the worst place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can be a very close personal friend with your boss, going out to lunch in front of all of the employees and not try to hide the blatant disregard for the others under the supervisor's care. You can work alone in an office of 5 and never have to see each other unless by chance someone wants to yell at you for the 2nd or 3rd time that week, because your job is at risk if you don't make goal.

Cons

You are yelled at almost daily and degraded because the supervisor thinks she can. The Tucson office is out of the picture and visit the Phoenix site only to make show approximately once every 2 months. The stress in the office from most of the employees is so high that everyone attempts to be out of office as much as possible. Most direction is given by email so that a person can track their request because they have a lack of trust in each other. Employees have had to sue the company because of their prejudices, the management tyraids, the fear felt by the employees personal, emotional and mental, we never knew if we were going to have a job that day or be terminated because of a choice by management. Many employees left the company because of he previous manager and won suits against the company by the labor board. There is little trust that if we speak to upper management or Human Resources that anything will happen. We are fearful to speak to them for the unknown results by our supervisor. Current supervisor is very close friends with one of the employees and doesn't care how it affects the department. They have offside meetings and spend most evenings together. This is not done with any of the other employees. Anyone who gives notice to terminate is harassed and has it held over their head until they leave. Terms that are used when giving notice are "I thought we were friends." "Why didn't you tell me you were leaving." Not words you'd normally heave from your Supervisor. When there was a situation where coaching was needed, and corporate involvement was requested by employee on two occasions; it never happened. Supervisor wanted to resolve the issue on her own as the other person involved in the problem was her very best friend, even after two requests for assistance. Supervisor decided that she would work the employees separate shifts so that they would not have to be see each each other instead of involving corporate for their assistance.

Hire someone as supervisor at Phoenix who is not a previous co-worker in the area and a "best friend" to one of the employees. A manager in Donor Recruitment or an experienced Supervisor is needed. Include HR more in the mix and make employees feel a part of the big picture. Reinforce employees communicating with HR and Donor Recruitment Manager in Tucson to ensure a feeling of an open door policy and that employees (due to their remote location) should be welcome to contact Manager as needed. When you tell employees repeatedly to get their medical out of the way before the end of the year and extended time off is medically necessary, don't lay off a seasoned employee on the day they are to return to work for a new employee, because the best friend of the current Supervisor did not like the current employee.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Ashburn, VA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

non-profit organization with a good mission statement

Cons

too many reduction in forces and favoritism

an overall review of current management should be performed

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross