There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Solid college job.

Former Employee - Lab Technician  in  Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Lab Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Red Cross part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is ok for living expenses while going to college and unlike most employers offer benefits like health insurance even to part time workers (after the probationary period).

Cons

They like to have a reason to let you go after the probationary period. Training/paperwork/red tape can be cumbersome and boring.

More hands on training vs long reading assignments. It will be much more efficient.

688 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly and knowledgable.

Cons

The pay is below average and advancement does not seem likely based upon skill level. It will moreso be determined by who you know.

Start determining the value of employees, new comers as well as those who assisted in the architecture of the buildings. Getting new and fresh thoughts, process and abiltiies, is how businesses grow and flourish!

HR Technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no micro management. Onsite cafeteria. Quiet work environment. Those who are self-disciplined can definitely improve their skills. Nice location in DC with shuttles to the nearest metro stations. Really the only part about ARC that impressed me was their commitment to diversity, with regular meetings for employees who wanted to attend.

Cons

Somewhere in the organization there is trouble transitioning to technology. They use the same checks and balances they probably had in place before email, internet, etc. It's quiet and very very lonely. The only people I regularly spoke to were two people sitting near me, and the people I met smoking outside. On my first day I was given a brief tour, a desk, a computer and a phone. I had computer trouble the entire time I worked for them. My computer was so slow that adding a row in Excel could take up to twenty minutes. From what I saw, my only guess is that managers have just been promoted based on their time with the organization and not based on their skills.

Get an efficiency expert and listen to what they have to say. Employees only know their one small part and no one takes responsibility or is held accountable for their work.

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!