American Red Cross

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Employees treated very poorly

Current Employee - Collections Technician III in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Collections Technician III in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collecting blood from donors is fun and fast paced. The work you do for ARC Biomedical, is very important and you can take pride in your work helping people.

Cons

Pay, employee policies, management treats you as a worthless commodity. There is no work/life balance. Schedule is erratic, being scheduled late into the evening and then early the next morning. Employee turnover is high, many employees hired simply to be a body to fit scheduling purposes.

Recognize employee moral is at rock bottom lows.

868 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Lots of tension between departments at the One Red Cross.

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and at the end of then day you know you are truly impacting many people.

Cons

Work schedule is difficult with a family!

Hire competant managers with a positive attitude.

It has seen better days

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dedham, MA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has been through its ups and downs throughout the years. Overall it was good to me and I received great training there when they offered it. Its challenges now are trying to gain market share again and donor retention. The benefits were always excellent and the pay regardless what some employees thought, were competitive. Raises were given when other companies were freezing wages. Even when our raises were on hold, a flat bonus was given in lieu of an increase to recognize worker's accomplishments. I am grateful that I worked there for a cumulative of 22 years before a final layoff. No regrets.

Cons

Financial troubles have hit this organization big time with numerous layoffs over the past 2 years and more to come. The Dedham location is practically nonexistent and the morale is like working at a morgue. Management really needs to think things through before rolling out systems that cause layoffs, only to find out the system is not adequate. Need to pilot programs first before finalizing implementation. Hire people based on their actual experience, talent, personality and intelligence. Stay away from the continued "old boy/old girl" model that plaques that environment with incompetent decision makers. The company is a foundation worth saving and deserves to live on.

Stop looking through rose colored glasses; listen to the people and their concerns.

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross