Fair

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very mission focused. Steady Pay with Benefits. Good Resume Builder with in the Human Services/ Non Profit Field. Never the same day.

Cons

Good Ole Boy Network at its Best! Incompetent Volunteers carry too much weight while hard working loyal paid staff have no voice. Overworked Paid Staff expected to do more than they can handle. Long Hours kills family life! Management in DC has no clue what the field deals with. Too many changes implemented with no feedback from the field.

Advice to Management

Listen more to its employees.

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

Lots of tension between departments at the One Red Cross.

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and at the end of then day you know you are truly impacting many people.

Cons

Work schedule is difficult with a family!

Advice to Management

Hire competant managers with a positive attitude.

It has seen better days

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dedham, MA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has been through its ups and downs throughout the years. Overall it was good to me and I received great training there when they offered it. Its challenges now are trying to gain market share again and donor retention. The benefits were always excellent and the pay regardless what some employees thought, were competitive. Raises were given when other companies were freezing wages. Even when our raises were on hold, a flat bonus was given in lieu of an increase to recognize worker's accomplishments. I am grateful that I worked there for a cumulative of 22 years before a final layoff. No regrets.

Cons

Financial troubles have hit this organization big time with numerous layoffs over the past 2 years and more to come. The Dedham location is practically nonexistent and the morale is like working at a morgue. Management really needs to think things through before rolling out systems that cause layoffs, only to find out the system is not adequate. Need to pilot programs first before finalizing implementation. Hire people based on their actual experience, talent, personality and intelligence. Stay away from the continued "old boy/old girl" model that plaques that environment with incompetent decision makers. The company is a foundation worth saving and deserves to live on.

Advice to Management

Stop looking through rose colored glasses; listen to the people and their concerns.