Amazing and most rewarding volunteer experience.

Current Employee - Volunteer  in  Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Volunteer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at American Red Cross as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the most down-to-earth and friendly people. All are gracious and work hard for the people within the community level and international level. It was important for me to see how a non-profit organization works and I can say I've made some life-lasting friends with my experience at the Red Cross.

Cons

There are always those one or two people who might make it difficult, but thats granted at any work-setting.

Honestly, I have none. The people of my management were so thankful to their volunteers and I could feel and see the difference that was made when we, as a group, went out to go make a difference.

Other Reviews for American Red Cross

Fulfilling work, but no clear path for progression

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You see the impact of your work on a daily basis
    Ability to work with diverse groups
    If you are a young professional, this is a great organization to build skill sets transferable to almost any field, and you will be given a lot of responsibility early off (it pays to be a self-starter in this organization or you will quickly find yourself lost)

Cons

Very limited opportunities for long-term career growth
    Promotions are based largely on longevity rather than talent
    Middle Managers need more accountability
    HR department could really use improvement

The changes made in the last three years are promising, but need to be followed up with adequate training for employees and clear vision from leadership as to how these changes impact how we operate in the future. More focus needs to be placed on managers, they are the weakest link in the organization.

Decline Continues

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Still the people who do the work.
    The ability of staff to adapt to constant onslaught - and often confusing - change.
    The flexibility in my department.
    The amount of leave you can earn.

Cons

Communications - either there is very little or it is misleading or incorrect.
    Leadership (Divisional level and above, especially - I suspect - above).
    Loaded with upper level management
    No leadership accountability
    Procedures (Systems structure - Biomed staff know what I mean)
    Education - LMS is a joke.

You may be trying, but IMHO, it ain't working, folks. Maybe things will improve on the other side of BioArch, but lordy, the body count as the result of efforts too late in coming. And BTW, your cost savings measures are not heeded by those at the National level. Check your TOD's travel - $75 for a dinner while on the road...and there were 5 or more? Really? Tell me, did Chris take a cut from his $648k salary or Greg, anything from his $426k? Hmmmm.

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!