American Red Cross

www.redcross.org
  www.redcross.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Great experience, not great benefits

Former Employee - Sample Management Lab Assistant in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Sample Management Lab Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-I worked in Blood Services, and the NTL has a very close-knit culture. Most of the employees had moved up from entry-level positions and were there from 7-15 years. My department had a very easy-going boss who encouraged us to get to know each other, and make the most out of an other-wise tedious/boring position (lab assistant).
-The PTO is outstanding
-Internal committees/organizations help you feel more engaged
- job security

Cons

-Too many audits. In my first two months, we had 4 internal/external routine audits.
-They are always making budget cuts, whether it is with coffee, staffing, or raises, everyone is always afraid to be cut
-Politics plays a huge part in who gets a promotion or not.

Give the people on the bottom a little more money if you want to reduce turn-over. Or give them an incentive to stay.

764 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Satisfying work, but too great the sacrifice

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

The core values and mission of the Red Cross are richly rewarding, and it draws some of the finest to service.

Cons

There is little appreciation from top management for the commitment of paid staff conducting the work in the field. Most of the "power" to affect decision-makng, along with career growth opportunities are seated with those working at regional or national levels.

Find a way to recognize and reward employees throughout the organization, or you will continue to encourage your talent to leave.

Started off great, but it reached the point where I didn't agree with upper management and their business decisions.

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is truly great. You join this place because you want to help make the world a better place and improve the quality of life for people struck by disaster.

Cons

Blood side: The decrease in revenue caused senior management to pressure the employees to the point of verbal abuse. They should look at laying off the management set in their ways rather than professional staff willing to make changes for the better (disclaimer: I was not laid off and lay offs were not in progress when I resigned.) Formal complaints to HR not acknowledged or resolved.

Deliver on your promises. If you cannot, then don't make promises especially when it comes to your employees' paychecks. It's that simple. Don't give excuses by blaming it on the process. Provide opportunities for employer growth instead of finding ways to hinder their performance and looking out for your own back. Stop penalizing the top performers and do something about those who fall behind. Perhaps it isn't their fault. Ever think to look at yourself for the reason of high turnover??

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross