There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Dedicated and passionate team members; goals and focus of organization can be a moving target

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a decent salary with good benefits. The Red Cross has relatively streamlined operations for a large organization. The name and core purpose of the Red Cross are widely known withing the USA, although many may not be aware of the volume of work American Red Cross supports around the globe.

Cons

The focus of the organization is too broad and a bit misdirected. Emergency preparedness and response is and should continue to be their core business, both for both domestic and international situations. The Red Cross often lacks clear exit strategies for long-term emergency relief and response programs, often resulting in unrealistic and unfulfilled expectations of the beneficiaries.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I had liked my job

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

advancements, nice people, lots to learn

Cons

hours can get crazy and the freezer can get cold

Advice to Management

great company to work for

Glad it's over now.

Former Employee - Collections Technician in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Collections Technician in Mobile, AL

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed traveling every day and not being limited to the same hours and the same people in the same places every day. It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work.

Cons

The Red Cross is good at saying that they care about their staff, but they make it very clear that if you are not able to do the job they will just find someone else. The crazy hours do get on your nerves sometimes, and they have the ability to make the hours better but those in management aren't affected by them so they don't bother to try. They also treat their volunteers very badly.

Advice to Management

I think that every person in upper management should have to spend one week of the year loading trucks and being on the road with the staff for 60 or 70 hours just to remind yourselves that the road staff isn't just complaining about nothing but that you do expect some really ridiculous things from the road staff. Maybe that would help you keep your expectations a little more realistic. Decisions shouldn't be made based on rumors. Communicate with the staff and quit lying to them, they're not nearly as stupid as you think.