There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Long hours, boring work, great people

Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The nature of the work is rewarding

Cons

The concept of "days off" does not apply here. Pay is low compared to working in the corporate world.

If you want to retain talent increase the pay. We know how much the Directors get paid and there is too much disparity in salary.

Feb 7, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We are always thrilled to hear that our employees find their work to be rewarding. As with most non-profits, we strive to be good stewards of our donors’ funds while also ... More

reviews filtered by

Treated like a piece of crap

Former Employee - DCA in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - DCA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone, you do not need any kind of healthcare experience.

Cons

Senior managers, which are the direct manager that you report to, are treated like a piece of crap and ordered by upper management to treat us, the blood collection workers, bad and be mean to us because it will make us work harder. WRONG!!! The worst was we were the ones directly in contact with the customers. So if you make me del bad or angry, the next person I will talk to is your money maker. The work-life balance is ridiculous. the shift was different everyday, first and second shift or any hours they wanted.

Give the front line workers some respect. You already pay like crap for the work done. Plus job security is a joke. In fact, go kill yourself. That would satisfy me. And let me watch.

Mar 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. To clarify, we hire our employees according to required job qualifications; in cases for which a medical background is necessary, we look for candidates ... More

Company constantly restructuring

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There have been a lot of amazing people working at the Red Cross that believe in the mission. It is a great company to work for in regards to their mission statement.

Cons

The company seems to be in a constant state of flux due to poor financial management. There are restructures/reorganizations involving lay-offs every two to three years. This is not a company to have a long term career if you would like to be employed more than five to ten years maximum. Recently they began laying off all long term management to save money.

Focus more on where money goes in regards to unnecessary travel expenses of executives that work in one state and fly back and forth for years instead of relocating to the state they are employed in. Also, focus is needed to reduce high turnover rates in departments such as collections and manufacturing.

Feb 7, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough and constructive review. Our people are crucial to fulfilling our mission; therefore, it is incredibly rewarding to hear positive feedback about ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross