There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Disappointment continues

Former Employee - Director  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Field staff believe in a mission to help others. Dedication to the various services is great.

Cons

The level of ineptitude increases with each rung up the corporate ladder. Executives in DC will drive the organization in to the ground. The Board of "Bystanders" is invisible and clueless. No one in DC has ever successfully run a field operation. Most executives in DC live elsewhere, and charge commuting expenses to the organization, like absentee landlords. Gender and age discrimination continue under the thin guise of 'reorgs' and 're-engineering'.

Go back to the 'for profit' world if they will take you.

Mar 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are always thrilled to hear positive comments about the dedication of our employees to fulfilling the Red Cross mission.

We also thank you
... More

702 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR EVER (GOOD at helping the community, bad employer)

Former Employee - IT Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

As far as being in the IT world of employment, there are NONE

Cons

PROFESSIONALISM: There is none! My first day I arrived, I have a broken desk, broken chair, no computer, or anything. My boss lived out of state, was not there at all. It was like I was on an island by myself, and had to figure it all out on my own. No one trained me, or helped me with hardly anything. Not once did another IT employee or manager fly out to spend a week or any time at all with me.

FORMER JOBS I HAD: All was read to go days BEFORE I arrived. And all in good working condition. If there was something I needed, I got. If something was broken (rarely) it was fixed right away. If I needed my desk adjusted, it happened withing 2-3 days. When I asked for any of this at Red Cross, they looked at me a laughed like I was crazy.

IT STRUCTURE: IS A COMPLETE JOKE, people wise, and equipment wise. They don't want to spend the money to do anything right, but still expect you to make it work right. They want the IT Staff to cover all of their employees IT needs across multiple states, and the whole US with little to no IT staff. Literally they expect 1 person to do the job of 20 people, across multiple states. You're the "lone ranger" doing it all by yourself, supporting up to 500 users, and they still expect you to get it done in a fast timely manner. If something goes wrong in another city or state, they expect you (by yourself) to hop on a plane and go fix it. They will pay for the plane and hotel (surprisingly), BUT good luck eating; you have a limit of about $15 to feed yourself for the WHOLE day which is ridiculous, being most cities like DC, New York, etc, you can't spend less than $15 for one meal, even if you tried. And if you even go over a tiny bit for food, they will take it out of your paycheck. You are also not allowed to leave a tip on the company dime; you have to pay the tip yourself. If you pay a bill/ invoice late, they will charge YOU the late fee and take it out of your pay check. WHY is IT paying bills; isn't that FINANCES job?!?!

ADDITIONAL PAY: NO bonuses, no additional pay, annual raise is 1-3% if your lucky and they like you. Do one thing wrong, and they will hold it over your head.

SALARY: is a JOKE! They will pay you literally HALF of what you should be, or would be getting at another job/ company. I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse. You still need to pay and treat your employees fairly and what they are worth, or at least close to it. Constantly was told, "well were are non-profit, so we can't do this or we can't do that". Also, the second they find out what you were getting at your previous job, they will use that against you and hold it over your head, like they did to me "well you were getting this now, so we'll just give a 10% increase, that pretty nice don't you think?" When my former job had nothing to do with my Red Cross job.

UPPER IT MANAGEMENT: is a JOKE, and most of the people running the organization (at least all the people I interacted with)! I cannot believe how many uneducated, and poor speaking (poor grammar, slang, made up words as they went, and sayings) people are either put in upper management, and or are an employee. It's like your in down "gang land" in LA, Compton, etc. They try to brain-wash you into all this "whoora go for it BS", that they don't even believe in themselves, they are just told to go along with it. They want you to think that once you work there, that is it for you, that you will not ever get anything better, "just be glad you have a job". While all along they will drop you like a fly for any reason they can, just to save some money.

CONTRACTORS BEWARE: If you are looking for work, even if it's for 3-6 months, do NOT work there. They LIE LIE LIE. They tell you they will hire you after your term over and over. But they will NEVER HIRE you. In fact they did it twice to 2 contractors I knew. They work with recruiters where their term states you cannot be hired for 6 months AFTER you quit or let go (which they NEVER tell you until they let go as a reason). In addition, they will keep you up to 1 year (making you think you have a perm job), but then let you go, saying "legally we cannot keep you" for this and that reason. Her is their secret, that they don't want you to know. When you are getting paid $20 per hour for exampl, they are paying the recruiting company $30+ per hour. You are losing out on $10+ per hour. Now think about that...Red Cross want's to pay MORE, and waist MORE money, to use you on temp basis, rather than hire you on a perm basis. When it would be cheaper, more efficient not to have to keep retraining people, and better overall just to hire the person on perm. BUT they do this so they can kick you to the curb anytime they want, and not have to pay you benefits either.

GET IT TOGETHER!!!! Stop lying, and telling people things that are NOT true, especially the contractors. Wake up and realize the IT Structure is NOT working (and has NOT worked for many years now), you NEED MANY more IT people, NOT LESS and less every quarter. There NEEDS to be a line between work life and personal life! Listen to the smart, experienced IT employees, it might actually get you somewhere. An IT structure should be a Sr. Manager, a manager, then AT LEAST 1 employee (or more) per office UNDER the manager, not 1 person for several states. In addition, if you're going to call them IT Area Managers, then have them do "manager work" ONLY, not be a glorified tech specialist with a bit more pay, that has all the work of a tech specialist, plus all the work of a manger. In addition, most companies have a finance department for a reason, it's not so all the regular employees can waist their time paying bills, etc. when they are expected to be doing a bunch of other things. SEND ALL THE BILLS TO FINANCE; HELLO!

Mar 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry that your employment with us began on a rough note, starting with not having the office equipment you needed. This is not the employee ... More

Great humanitarian organization that treats employees very well.

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary, good work environment, friendly and compassionate coworkers. Great benefits from the start. Overall a good place to work

Cons

Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems. Salaries rely on public donations so when the economy is bad there is no cost of living increase and benefits can be withdrawn.

Lighten the top heavy structure and get to know your employees and what they are doing and good at.

Jan 29, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We love hearing that our employees find the American Red Cross a friendly, compassionate place to work. We also appreciate your constructive criticism ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!