American Red Cross

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

Disappointment continues

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Field staff believe in a mission to help others. Dedication to the various services is great.

Cons

The level of ineptitude increases with each rung up the corporate ladder. Executives in DC will drive the organization in to the ground. The Board of "Bystanders" is invisible and clueless. No one in DC has ever successfully run a field operation. Most executives in DC live elsewhere, and charge commuting expenses to the organization, like absentee landlords. Gender and age discrimination continue under the thin guise of 'reorgs' and 're-engineering'.

Go back to the 'for profit' world if they will take you.

Mar 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are always thrilled to hear positive comments about the dedication of our employees to fulfilling the Red Cross mission.

We also thank you
... More

860 Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross (View Most Recent)

Less than supportive organization

I worked at American Red Cross (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff and volunteers in region offices

Cons

Senior leadership is weak and indecisive. Lacking in filed leadership.

Speak to your staff and clients and stop guessing.

Mar 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thanks for your review. We’re always pleased to hear praise about the dedication of our staff and wonderful volunteers. We also appreciate your feedback about leadership. We will take this into ... More

Certainly not for everyone

Current Employee - Manufacturing
    Current Employee - Manufacturing

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good aspects of this organization. You get a great starting wage and are eligible for benefits very quickly. Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference. It feels good to go home at the end of the day and know that you've done something to make a difference in the lives of others. It is also very easy to transfer between departments so there are many opportunities to move around within the organization.

Cons

The following applies to the department I work in - I cannot speak for other departments throughout the organization.

Work/Life balance is absolutely non-existent.Certain departments are scheduled 24 hours a day. You are given core hours, and are told that these are the hours that you will be scheduled. What you're not told, in my experience, is that only applies to your regular schedule, not overtime. You can be forced to work at any time of the day or night. You will be forced overtime - significant amounts - pretty much weekly. You will often be forced overtime with little or no notice (very difficult if you have children at home, etc). There are no exceptions - they do not care about childcare issues, class schedules, family engagements, or anything else. To be happy at this job (at least in my department) you must be willing to put it above all else in your life - you are expected to be available any time they decide they want you. You will be called in on your days off, you will work doubles, you will miss weddings and funerals and your childrens dance recitals, you will miss classes and you will miss out on things your have bought tickets to, you will frantically be trying to find someone to take your kid at midnight so you can go in. You will be trying your best to stay awake at 3 in the morning when you've already worked your regular shift, plus half of 3rd shift and now you have 3 hours to go home and sleep before you start your next shift. If you can think it up, they will have you doing it at some point. It is acceptable to them to have you scheduled 7 days a week, every week if that is what they feel they need, and you have no choice in the matter. You either do it or you don't have a job. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I have experienced all of these things on numerous occasions and I wish that someone had given me an accurate vision of what to expect before I signed up for this job. If you are able to have the flexibility to make this work then it will probably be a good job for you, but many people have other commitments, and should be aware that this is the reality of it before they choose to accept this position. In other departments the overtime is not so bad - I highly recommend discussing it and letting them know what you are able to do before accepting a position.

You must also be willing to accept that which you do not understand, and that which is completely devoid of logic. Nearly all rules and procedures are written by people far away who are very disconnected from how things work on the ground in the real world. You must accept that although this is not the easiest or most effective way of doing anything, you must do it this way and nothing is going to change it. The atmosphere is very strict, you are expected to do everything right the first time or there will be meetings and consequences and e-mails about it for weeks.

Although we are part of a Union, management absolutely excels at twisting the contract to suit whatever their needs are at the time, and there is really not much you can do about it. All of the above being said, I have heard that Red Crosses in other regions have a very different atmosphere than the one I work at. My co-workers that were conducting training all across the country came back and said that they were amazed at the difference in the work environment at other locations so it is possible that these issues have more to do with our local leaders than the Red Cross as a whole. All I can do is share my personal experience.

As far as future outlook, we are undergoing "restructuring", and people are losing their jobs. I'm told that the need for blood is diminishing and that we have to change to reflect that. It's hard to say right now how things will end up, but I'm not totally optimistic.

A greater amount of respect for employees would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave an honest and constructive review. First, we appreciate your positive comments about pay, benefits, and opportunities for growth. We also love to hear that our ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross